Universal web/mobile app

Home Forums Data Universal web/mobile app

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

Replying to @danieldaniel‘s post:

I will switch it to a info bar rather than a popup, but it is correct.

danieldaniel
    Participant

IE9 is actually more standards compliant than any other browser. However the misinformed often spout the nonsense about Google Chrome being the most compliant when in reality it is now far behind IE – and the biggest sinner is now Firefox.

The above is confirmed, independently, by W3C. Full report here: http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/report/results.html

This blog post also explains the report results: http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2010/11/02/internet-explorer-9-the-most-standards-compliant-browser-on-the-block-a-guest-post-by-simon-may.aspx Although it is a Microsoft blog post all the author is doing is quoting from a WC3 report.

So please stop publically saying that IE is inferior. People are being badly mislead by the incorrect popup message you are displaying on your website.

And no, I don’t work for Microsoft but I do find baseless misinformation to be annoying, and there is plenty of it from “experts” on the Internet.

Matt
    Participant

Hmm, that’s odd, I’m sure I code that message to only show on pre-IE 9 versions!

Anyway, IE8 and before are not standards compliant, and that’s who my message is aimed at.

The other thing to bear in mind is the current browser usage stats – IE is drastically dropping (down to 16% now – only 6% on IE9). Obviously Microsoft got the message and have worked hard towards making it standards compliant.

Web devs should not have to add extra code to make a website work in a specific browser, it’s ridiculous.

Matt
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

I’ve removed the popup now on IE9+ and changed the “Your browser doesn’t support location services” to a status bar message instead.

I apologise to you for the negligence on my part, I didn’t realise how much IE had changed in V9!

Matt

danieldaniel
    Participant

great! to be honest i was expecting more of a kick back on this! most web developers tend to be rather ignorant to browser technologies nowadays and tow the line that “Chrome is best” without actually looking at the details.

Why not push IE9 to the top of the list in your browser recommendation box….? Or is that going too far?!

I wonder if the day will arrive when sites will start recommending people not to use Chrome… from a security point of view Chrome, and more so Firefox to be honest, are lacking behind quite far compared to IE.

Matt
    Participant

Have any examples of that?

I think it is a case of trust. If your intruder alarm failed to go off a few times despite update it’s firmware, would you prefer just to update it again or start to look for another provider..? ;)

roadrunner
    Participant

Hey Matt, use your boris bikes availability extensively!! However, noticed this morning, it seems your following site is giving some error messages, http://www.londoncommuter.co.uk/bikes/freedocks.php , can you please have a look into this? Also, your other integrated site is having slight problems, when user clicks on any numbered icon on the map, the little pop up opens giving availability info, but where your little grapgh is suppose to appear, its giving some sort of error, http://www.londoncommuter.co.uk/bikes/?free .

thanks in advance!

Matt
    Participant

Hey,

Sorry am in the process of moving it to bojobikes.co.uk and releasing an iPhone app for it so had to change a few bits. Should all be fully up and running on both URLs in the next few hours :)

Thanks for reporting! Also, great to hear that is helping. If you come over anything that could be changed for the better than please let me know :)

Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.