General discussion forum?

Home Forums Housekeeping General discussion forum?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Boris 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Girlspeedo
    Participant

I wonder if we could have an additional forum for more general bike discussions? I’m going to be using Boris Bikes (when they sort out my key, eventually), but I’m also a novice cyclist and I have many bike questions that are not strictly BB related. I’m feeling a bit sheepish asking here since they might be deemed as off-topic. So maybe a more general forum is a solution? Or if not, could anyone recommend a good bike forum for newbies like me?

OverzealousCyclist
    Participant

Girlspeedo. Welcome to cycling. Try bikeradar.com and you’ll find enough there – from basic stuff to super geeky stuff… good luck.

Helz
    Participant

I also recommend bikeradar – they’ve even got an “information for beginners” sticky which you might find helpful.

redfalo
    Participant

Another option is Cycle Chat http://www.cyclechat.net/ They have sub-forums for beginners as well as for commuters.

Anothereye
    Participant

there is also the Cyclist Touring Club forum; you do not have to be a CTC member to join the forum.

A comment that I was going to post anyway; now that the BorisBikes forum has got off to a good start: Is it time to re-organise it?

For example, a section on issues about cycling in London (not necessarily on BBs but essential for BBers, especially newcomers).

This could include issues like safety tips and adjusting saddles and best/worst cycle lanes.

Then issues about docking, accounts, finding bikes etc could perhaps have sub sections.

I think that this would be a clearer way to organise than the existing love, hate etc.

jwo
    Participant

Sorry to plague you with information, but there is also YACF (Yet Another Cycling Forum) which is a pretty friendly place and welcomes beginner cyclists (especially if you introduce yourself as such).

redfalo
    Participant

Anothereye has a good point, IMHO.

Boris
    Keymaster

I’m open to any suggestions. I have been thinking it’s time to get better organised. The love hate thing was meant as a way to kick things off. I’m off at V festival right now but will try to sort something out early next week.

Please continue to post forum re-organising suggestions here. Also send me a PM if you’re interested in being a moderator.

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

Anothereye
    Participant

Thanks Boris, enjoy the festival.

Is there someone who wants to analyse the forum by categories and see how it might look if reorganised?

justnathan
    Participant

It’s a fantastic site – thanks for making the effort.

My suggestions (apart from the reorganisation of the discussion threads)are:

1. A ‘links’ page with links to apps, OOBR and other useful web sites

2. Ability to create polls.

Nathan

Girlspeedo
    Participant

Thanks Boris, I think we can do with an Off-topic section as well. It’d make the site more social.

Cheers for all the links I’ll check them out!

Boris
    Keymaster

Replying to @Girlspeedo‘s post:

Old topic I know, but I have been a bit tied up lately so only getting onto this now. @Girlspeedo you will be pleased to know you wish has been granted! I give you the all new Boris Bikes Off-topic Forums!

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.