Extension Docking Stations

Home Forums Love Extension Docking Stations

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ruzzi 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Ruzzi
    Participant

A 33 point dock has just commenced construction in Podmore Road opposite the entrance to Wandsworth Town Station and is likely to help trade for the independent retailers close by.
    Cheyne Walk by Battersea Bridge in front of Ropers Gardens has a completed 21 point dock.
    And the New Kings Road has several completed docks: in front of Parsons Green there is a 21 point dock and further along the road in front of Eel Brook Common there are two, the first a 44 point one and the second opposite Wandsworth Bridge Road a 25 point one.

Ruzzi
    Participant

True to their word TFL have started work on a 54 point docking station in Grant Road, Clapham Junction opposite Sendall Court. Temporary traffic lights are in operation while they build it

martinc
    Participant

They’re popping up all over the place now I think – I saw one being built in Addison Road today – a little south of Holland Park Avenue

Ruzzi
    Participant

Walking from Clapham Junction station today we noticed the temporary lights on Grant Road were still operational and surprised to see that the newly installed docking station of 54 points was being further extended to over twice this size and indeed will be slightly larger than Waterloo. The Foreman we spoke to doubted it would be fully used – but I think he might be wrong? And its only a short walk to/from the station entrance.

Ruzzi
    Participant

Docked at Stonecutter Street en route to Kings Cross. This is one of those manned docks and two guys were sat on the pavement policing a significant number of undocked bikes. To pass the 5 minutes away I decided to walk around the block and was surprised to see a new docking station being constructed at the no through road end of St Brides Street. I couldn’t work out the overall shape of the dock nor the number of points, but these looked significantly less than the pile of undocked bikes in Stonecutter Street, but of course every little helps. I bet the taxis were none too pleased as I seem to recall they used to park here?

Ruzzi
    Participant

Went to Regents Row Haggerston by the Regents Canal and found workman have started work on a 46 point dock in Ada Street just a minute away – seems strange that the dock is at the end where the branches of two huge trees will overhang most of it? I was told a further dock of 33 points will be sited in Jackman Street adjacent to this one. The Regents Row dock is a very busy one and frequently empty, so I’m guessing these new docks will be very useful and well used.

Cyclists appear to dominate this area as road users and certainly you feel safer on the roads and along the canal. There is also a council provided cycle air pump on the bridge. One also senses a courtesy and awareness between cyclists, vehicles and pedestrians which is unusual.

Ruzzi
    Participant

A newly finished docking station outside Arthur Henderson House in the Fulham Road has just appeared with all of its 27 docking points installed, albeit they have the “not in use” plate on them, together with a working tower although of course you can’t hire. Its a great site with a large very well kept parade of assorted shops and eateries next to it and including a Sainsbury Local. Can visualise a lot of use here.

Ruzzi
    Participant

Haggerston currently has a considerable number of new builds in progress and therefore a lot of potential cyclists. A high concentration of these builds are near to the station.
    A lot of the proposed docking stations are currently being installed, all of which are considerably larger than normal and appear to have been well sited. There is one at the lower end of Hertford Road by the canal and another by the Station in Haggerston Road in front of Stonebridge Gardens.
    In Dunston Road at the end of Acton Mews a huge new block of flats is being built and the small paved square by it is accomodating docking points on both sides, nearly 50 of them. The infrastructure around this area is great for cycling.
    Leading from here another two docks are being built on Queensbridge Road – one by Albion Drive and the other by Pownall Road.
    I can envisage the bikes being very high profile in this area.

Ruzzi
    Participant

Stonecutter Street update:
    Docked there Friday at 2:30 PM to find it three quarters full, no bikes on the pavement and no Serco staff.
    The new dock in St Brides Street has 27 point plates installed BUT interestingly the pavement of the piazza at the end of the dock has been dug up significantly all the way to Farringdon Street and is surrounded by fencing indicating the cycle hire scheme. Wether this is futher points which at a guess would be up to 40 or simply the power supply remains to be seen as there were no workman present to ask.
    I have also seen a map that suggests another dock will be installed in Plumtree Court, which is the next road up from Stonecutter and is a no through one, except cycles, into Farringdon Street, has single yellow lines both sides and with no vehicles whatsoever. The huge office building on one side appears empty. This potentially looks a very good site for a large new dock.
    At Waterloo later in the afternoon I learnt from a redistribution driver there, that the manual staff now only work in the morning with the drivers taking the pavement bikes away back to Waterloo and then later in the afternoon, before rush hour, emptying Waterloo to restock Stonecutter – the Stonecutter staff are now helping out at Waterloo in the evening rush hour and there certainly seemed a lot more than usual when I docked.
    This seema a sensible redistribution as the route between the two docks is relatively quick and straightforward, certainly as a bike trip.

martinc
    Participant

Some new docking stations within the existing area of the scheme have begun opening up – St Martin’s Close, and Addison Road, at least. You can find my comments on these in the ‘News’ section – hoping to see more happening very soon.

Ruzzi
    Participant

This seems an eminently sensible idea if only to start earning some revenue!
    The 29 point Kennington Cross dock in Vauxhall which empties in the weekday mornings, has had extension point plates laid for some time now which almost doubles it in size. I would have thought this was a candidate for immediate activation?
    I went to the BFI this afternoon only to find the Belvedere Road dock closed and surrounded by fencing – since learnt via the TFL web site that it is being extended – good thinking – lots of space on the paving there – I reckon it could easily double in size.
    The new dock in St Martins Close in Camden may have been opened because Parkway has had to close for Thames Water major works?

Ruzzi
    Participant

I live in Richmond and its great that a short distance down the South Circular Road there is suddenly a hive of activity with cycle hire docks appearing around Putney as promised.

Today I saw eight docks, three completed and five in progress, with a further proposed 3 or 4 yet to be started.
    Two of the eight were not on the original proposal and amazingly there is one of these being constructed on the Upper Richmond Road itself, just around the corner from Putney station entrance. Whilst taking up a large amount of pavement (no infringement for pedestrians and the road is red route) it appears only to have 20 docks. It is amidst a lot of street furniture -a tree, telephone box, hydrants and street lamps. The council also appear to be having the same workmen re-install 8 regular racks taken for the dock in addition to the dozen or so that exist on this stretch. So a significant cycle oasis.
    To compliment this dock a proposed one of 33 points is under way in the parallel Disraeli Street the other side of the station and in front of the public library – a great location and so no known objections there.
    Further down the High Street there are two more – Felsham Road being constructed (27 points) and in Montserrat Road a 29 point one has been completed. Both are safely well sited.
    In Northfields by the terrific Wandsworth Park there is a completed 29 point dock. Although cycling is not allowed in the park itself there is a slip lane to the river embankment on which it is legal to cycle although I’m not sure how far you can ride in either direction yet as I don’t own a bike to be rectified when I hire one. Putney Bridge Road although suffering fast traffic and no cycle lane, appears to be a comfortable ride into Wandsworth Town and onto Battersea / Clapham.
    In Oxford Road in front of the School of Art and Design another dock is in progress with what looks like 28 points – the station itself is currently under massive reconstruction and a second new entrance may be sited in this road. East Putney Station is also close by.
    Finally the other dock being constructed and with 33 points is also in the Upper Richmond Road and almost next to East Putney Station. This is the dock which has received a lot of criticism from the businesses on the opposite side of the road who claim not to have been informed about its construction and that it has taken 8 car parking spaces and potentially a lot of new and existing customers. Whilst it is certainly true about the car spaces taken and that only four remain, it is interesting to note when you look at the parking conditions that no mention has been made by them that it is a red route 7AM to 7PM, allows only 1 hour waiting and no return. On the opposite side of the road directly in front of the businesses complaining, is another but longer parking area, again red route 7AM to 7PM with a 30 minute wait and no return! Hopefully there will be no impact to them except maybe more business from cyclists – LOL?

I’m sure there will be a significant uptake of the bikes in the whole of this area, with Richmond Park definitely seeing more of them. And because it also forms a new perimeter for the scheme, Serco will need to be on top of there redistribution game!

Ruzzi
    Participant

The foundations of a new 33 point docking station have been laid in Binfield Road next to Stockwell underground station and will no doubt be well used as there is currently an inordinate distance between the docks in Teversham Lane and Clarence Walk. This end part of Binfield Road is currently under a major refurbishment so it could be a while before the dock becomes operational.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.