BBC attacks Barclays funding

Home Forums Off-topic BBC attacks Barclays funding

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Loshu 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

davy
    Participant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14326295

I am no fan of banks, and would prefer red bikes, but the BBC’s pop at Barclays seems a bit unfair. They took a risk. The scheme could have been a total disaster.

Of course, the BBC would only need to ditch a dozen execs and “celebs” and then they could bid to sponsor instead!

zefrog
    Participant
    Quote:
    London Mayor Boris Johnson has been accused of giving Barclays the sponsorship of his cycle hire scheme “on the cheap” in a deal that was not put out to competition.

(my emphasis).

and

Quote:
    Three advertising consultants contacted by BBC London said the commercial value of what the bank was getting, in advertising alone, was between £9m and £15m a year.

(they pay £5m a year at the mo)

Also the second sponsorship (announced yesterday) could easily have been renegotiated in view of the success of the scheme.

zefrog
    Participant

Also, it’s not the BBC taking a pop, it’s an Assembly member and some advertising professionals.

And while “the BBC would only need to ditch a dozen execs and “celebs”" to be able to bid, Barclays only needs so reduce its CEO’s bonus to double its bid…

jamsandwich
    Participant

“It was also given assurance that [...] it could have access to personal data of people registering to use the bikes.”

WOAH! WTF! I didnt sign up for THAT!

Participant

I’m sure you’ll find somewhere in the small print that “we may share data with our partners”.

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

“It comes as he announced on the first anniversary of the scheme that the bank would continue backing it for a further three years, up to 2018.”

Can’t I count? 2011…2012…2013… 2018?????

zefrog
    Participant

the first sponsorship deal goes until 2015?

Roo10
    Participant

Replying to @zefrog‘s post:

Barclays signed up for 5 years at the start of the scheme, so 2010 plus 5 years 2015 and then a further 3 years so correct; 2018

Girlspeedo
    Participant

@BrigitteBardotBikes Ha ha, similar mystery with Cycle Superhighways for me. They have new routes planned for 2010 – 2015 but mysteriously skipping 2014. What’s with that? Saving up blue paint?

Cycle Superhighways

Participant

Replying to @Girlspeedo‘s post:

“What’s with that?” – Nothing’s with that. Read your linked page again and you’ll see it says “by 2015″, but if you’re going to be that inquisitive, you could ask why nothing is happening during 2012 instead :P

(I think you’ll find the Olympics will take precedence over everything next year)

Loshu
    Participant

Replying to @7209′s post:

I looked but couldn’t see any overt reference to this, have asked tfl about it via the web contact form.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.