Would love for the scheme to work… but it just doesn't.

Home Forums Hate Would love for the scheme to work… but it just doesn't.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jamsandwich 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

keeba28
    Participant

I was extremely excited to become a member of the scheme and looked forward to swapping my car for cycling. Unfortunately so far it’s been a disaster.

While waiting for my access key to arrive I tried using the bikes as a casual user using my debit card. Cut to two very frustrating weeks of showing up at the docks at Turquoise Island (Westbourne Grove) and Chepstow Villas to find that the machine would ask me to insert my card, process it for what seemed like 20 minutes then eventually return the message ‘sorry, not available’.

At the weekend my key arrived and I thought my problems were over. Unfortunately not. On Monday I hired a cyle, fine. On Tuesday I tried again but it wouldn’t release a cycle and the guy in the call centre couldn’t explain why, other than ‘oh look, you’re hiring tonight at roughly the same time as last night, so that’s probably why’. I have no idea what he meant, nor did he it seems God forbid I have a routine!

I then made the mistake of crossing the bridge South of the river and spent over an hour trying to drop off my bike. It was a complete nightmare. 20-30 cyclysts going round in circles trying to find free docking points, of which there were none. I made 4 or 5 calls to the call centre where they were powerless to help, instead simply reminding me that ‘the bike is your responsibility and so you’ll just have to keep cycling until you find a dock’. Even more frustrating was their insistence that there were ’10 free docks at Kennington Cross’ despite the fact I was standing there and there clearly wasn’t. I had to wait until after 9pm (I arrived in Kennington at 8pm) for a street van to come and clear the docks.

The organisers clearly need to realise that many people are hiring bikes in the evening to cycle from town to South London. I’d suggest there is a van doing hourly rounds to clear the docks and ensure there are free spaces, otherwise the whole scheme is at risk of collapsing.

I have NEVER had such a frustrating experience as with this scheme. Disaster.

biggles
    Participant

I have every sympathy, but I don’t think you can use the scheme as if it was as reliable as having your own bike – especially in good weather in tourist season when it’s clear there simply aren’t enough bikes to go around.

SERCO have to get their fingers out of their a**es when it come to reliability – there is a very similar system in Washington DC that I have used a lot (same bikes) that has none of the ‘software’ glitches that plague London.

I think the most important thing for users is to check the app that will tell them whether it is likely that they are going to be able get a bike and drop it off, before they embark on their journey. Would have saved an hour in South London. It’s annoying when you’d like to do a journey by bike but find you can’t. But then a few short months ago you couldn’t anyway…

jamsandwich
    Participant

Im still having issues (see my other thread)

Last night tried all the bikes at Park Road – Long orange to red. Called the call centre (on the 0208 number!) In that time id walked to hop exchange, which was down (apparently the card terminal had been tampered with so had shut itself down! FFS)

Walked back to park street – the guy says that the systems is telling me that i had taken a bike out earlier at Park st. I hadnt. he cancelled that hire. I tried another – it registered on his system… Long orange… he says “you should now have a green”, but the light is still orange for me, orange, orange, orange…. then nothing.

Man suggests i try another bike

Long orange then nothing BUT that one doesnt register on his system.

Gets me to try another bike…. again, doesnt register on his system.

Asked him if there were any bikes at New Globe Walk “Yes, there are 8 there” so I walked down to there.

Theres 5 bikes there when i get there. (!?)

“Try bike XXXXX” says the man, “there is no bike XXXXX” says I

“Try bike YYYYY” says the man, “there is no bike YYYYY” says I

“Try bike ZZZZZ” says the man, “there is no bike ZZZZZ” says I

“Ill try bike AAAAA” says I, “thats not on my system” says the man

FFS!

Top and bottom of it – theyre sending me a new key

FML

jamsandwich
    Participant

Im still having issues (see my other thread)

Last night tried all the bikes at Park Road – Long orange to red. Called the call centre (on the 0208 number!) In that time id walked to hop exchange, which was down (apparently the card terminal had been tampered with so had shut itself down! FFS)

Walked back to park street – the guy says that the systems is telling me that i had taken a bike out earlier at Park st. I hadnt. he cancelled that hire. I tried another – it registered on his system… Long orange… he says “you should now have a green”, but the light is still orange for me, orange, orange, orange…. then nothing.

Man suggests i try another bike

Long orange then nothing BUT that one doesnt register on his system.

Gets me to try another bike…. again, doesnt register on his system.

Asked him if there were any bikes at New Globe Walk “Yes, there are 8 there” so I walked down to there.

Theres 5 bikes there when i get there. (!?)

“Try bike XXXXX” says the man, “there is no bike XXXXX” says I

“Try bike YYYYY” says the man, “there is no bike YYYYY” says I

“Try bike ZZZZZ” says the man, “there is no bike ZZZZZ” says I

“Ill try bike AAAAA” says I, “thats not on my system” says the man

FFS!

Top and bottom of it – theyre sending me a new key

FML

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.