What's the secret of the Dublin bike hire scheme's success?

Home Forums Love What's the secret of the Dublin bike hire scheme's success?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jamsandwich 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/04/dublin-bike-hire-scheme

Quote:
    Dublinbikes, the Irish capital’s bike hire scheme, will turn two years old this September. With over 58,000 subscribers and 2.2m rentals to date, it has been reported as one of the most successful bike rental schemes in the world. In Dublin, each bike made an average of more than 2,200 journeys in its first year. Comparatively, London’s scheme which was a year old at the start of July recorded an average of 1,000 journeys per bike over the year. So what is dublinbikes’ secret to success?

Ironically, the only time I have tried to use this scheme in Dublin I couldn’t because all the terminals were down with the error “cannot connect to network”.

elyobelyob
    Participant

Just got back from Dublin .. I couldn’t understand why the scheme was needed. It’s such a small catchment area … I did see bikes locked up away from the terminals as clearly not enough space. As a Waterloo user, an all too familiar problem.

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

Simple, they have JC Decaux, we have Serco… look no further.

jamsandwich
    Participant

is it a bixi system?

jamsandwich
    Participant

no – its the french system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublinbikes

seemingly a lot more robust and error free (smaller system again though)

Did we not got for the Velib system JUST because the french had it or was it put out to tender and bixi/serco won?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.