What a nightmare

Home Forums Off-topic What a nightmare

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  redfalo 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

redfalo
    Participant

After having read all these stories about people going crazy finding empty docking stations I just would like to share the nightmare I enjoyed on the tube yesterday evening.

It all stated with a puncture on my Brompton at Bank around 7pm which forced me into the Tube. I live at Highbury so I would have had to go to King’s Cross to catch the Piccadilly line. However, since a poor chap went unter a train at King’s Cross, the Piccadilly line was suspended and Kings X was closed. I went to Oxford Circus to catch the Victoria Line to Highbury/Islington. After having arrived there, I learned that there was no Victoria Line servic from Oxford Circus as well. Finding a free cab was impossible. I ended up walking to Tottenham Court road, catched the Tube to Euston and finally managed to get on a Victoria Line train.

The entire odyssey took 1.45 hours and costed around quid – walking from Bank to Highbury would have been faster.

Just to put things into perspective ;-)

congokid
    Participant

Sympathies, though a quid can’t have been too much of a hardship.

When you think about the complexity of London transport and the huge demand for it, it’s a wonder it ever works, but the nightmares though mega-inconvenient and frustrating are thankfully quite rare. Or maybe it just seems that way since they shut down the tubehell website!

My own Brompton collapsed under me on the way home earlier this year when the main tube broke at the weld next to the folding bracket. I was carrying no cash, so had to shlep the bike back to the office in the hope that someone was still there who could lend me the bus fare home. Luckily the finance director was on hand to spare me a tenner.

Also luckily, Brompton repaired it for free, fixed some other snags, and stuck on loads of new components! It was like a brand new bike for a while.

Oh, as I was typing I just got an update email from Barclays!

terry
    Participant

It seems that the guy who went under the train at Kings Cross was pushed!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23891551-transvestite-pushed-to-his-death-in-rush-hour-tube-horror.do

Murder investigation now open.

ozzage
    Participant

Jesus.

jaffacakes
    Participant

Replying to @congokid‘s post:

Always carry an Oyster card loaded with a few quid to get you home in an emergency. Not only is it cheaper than paying cash, it also solves the problem of the bus driver who is either unwilling or unable to give change for a note.

congokid
    Participant

Replying to @jaffacakes‘s post:

Quote:
    Always carry an Oyster card loaded with a few quid to get you home in an emergency

Usually I do, but the reason I was cashless on this occasion was because when I left for work I forgot to pack my wallet, which also contains my Oyster card.

jaffacakes
    Participant

Replying to @congokid‘s post:

ahah, also explains why a cash machine wasn’t an option this time ;)

But I thought I’d mention the Oyster as I encountered someone at work who rarely uses public transport and never realised that it was worth having for the odd times he did

redfalo
    Participant

Replying to @terry‘s post:

Oh dear, THAT’S a real nightmare…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.