Week 1 – Tell us what you LOVE about YOUR London Cycle Hire

Home Forums Love Week 1 – Tell us what you LOVE about YOUR London Cycle Hire

This topic contains 27 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  shootthecompany 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Trikeman
    Participant

@cyclingnewbie, yes, that is a slight concern, I agree – I suspect it partly depends how the expansion plans go.

ianxn
    Participant

Surely London is not the only city that Brompton sell to! Why would they go under? if anything they should learn from London and start positioning themselves to make sure they get the contract to make and maintain the bikes for future cities, and not just UK cities.

Trikeman
    Participant

It’s not their only market, of course, but I’d be pretty confident it’s by far their biggest one.

Drabwash
    Participant

The three main benefits of improved fitness, an enhanced feeling of mental well-being and being able to catch an earlier train home after years of grinding commuting means that I shall persevere in this giddy whirl against all adversity. I take my hat off to all those dear souls who have contributed to the creation of this truly inspired step forward. No hyperbolae are too extreme. It is indeed fitting that the name attached to the scheme where one ‘Borrows Bikes’ is ‘Boris Bikes.’ Love it? I’m besotted!

simpss01
    Participant

I’m now thinking about cycling home. It was raining this morning so I didn’t cycle in – but I can cycle home. How great is that?

CyclePot
    Participant

This idea is truly outside the box!

When I was in Uni, I commuted on a bike for 90 minutes a day (round trip). Then I got a car. Since then, it’s been from one box to another: from waking up in an apartment (a box), riding the lift down (a moving box), into a car, bus or tube (a box with wheels), then into your office (the professional box), usually stay inside your building all day while typing into a computer (a digital box), then climb back into your car, drive home and turn on the tv (now, a flat pack box). It’s a boxed life!!!

Since I joined the scheme a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been on about 20 rides and have enjoyed riding around London so much I want to buy my own bike to take on longer rides. The kinds I used to do.

I’ve already spoken to at least one person who says that this thing has “changed their life”, and I’ve read several comments on this BB in the same vein. Sure, there are some problems – but how often does a civic program that offers this kind of change come around?

I can now look forward to

[*] a radius of travel that was previously impractical on foot

just going out for short errands, whenever, because it’s fun and convenient to do so

the exercise benefits that accrue after at least 20 minutes of exercise per day

saving money on travel by tube or bus, and often taxi!

a more social form of travel, providing the flexibility of walking, without the delay

discovering London all over again

being more mentally “awake” upon arrival (thank you endorphins!)

breathing in air that hasn’t been “tubified”

staying cool (it’s natural air-conditioning folks) on commutes

the convenience of just picking up and dropping off wherever, whenever

I could go on and on…

Girlspeedo
    Participant

I love it so much I’ve been having cycling dreams.

… but then again I’ve also been having dreams about going to loos that have no doors. But that’s an entirely different discussion altogether.

FarringdonEd
    Participant

What I LOVE is that over the weekend, my wife confirmed that my moobs are officially no more! Clearly this is a 100% subjective view but just goes to show that it’s possible to get tangible fitness results when cycling 35 miles a week which is the case for me…

I was so pleased I celebrated with a beer and a pizza…

PS Girlspeedo – is that discussion available elsewhere on another site?!

Dan Thomas
    Participant

I’ve just bought annual service, based on the theory that I’ll use it for at least the next 2 months of weekdays. Wonder if I’ll still be saying that on the 20th November when I’m wearing a coat and gloves on my BoBi!

The bike in in the morning is great fun – jump off the tube before my final destination, bike in and get there before the tube people have had a chance to go up the escalators!

I’ve arrived at work feeling considerably more alive and have been able to give up my daily morning coffee because of this. Thanks BoBis!

The evening ride back is a great way to wind down too. Except it tends to end with a bit of frantic GPS’ing to make sure there’s a dock free where I want to go. :(

Girlspeedo
    Participant
    Quote:
    PS Girlspeedo – is that discussion available elsewhere on another site?!

About my loo-based dream problem or your ex-moobs? I can do both.

FarringdonEd
    Participant
    Quote:
    About my loo-based dream problem or your ex-moobs? I can do both.

Either or both?? In fact I am more worried about your loo issues. My moobs are more tangible.. :D

Girlspeedo
    Participant

So you feel my pain. I just need to figure out a way to introduce doors into my dreams… loos or not they’d generally come in very handy I’m sure you’d agree.

shootthecompany
    Participant

Hi all,

We are an independent film production company who are making some short documentary films about people whose lives have been changed positively by using Boris Bikes.

Would anyone be interested in sharing some of their stories with us?

Best,
    Emma

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.