We don't need more docking points – we need redistribution!

Home Forums Hate We don't need more docking points – we need redistribution!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  radii8 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rupert
    Participant

Just had a reply from TfL to my complaint about total lack of redistribution of bikes in central London in the evenings. They say (as usual) that they’re doing all they can to provide a ‘first-class service’. And they say they’re going to add more docking points. But what’s the point of more EMPTY docking points? The issue is the complete lack of distribution by Serco. I’m totally baffled by their refusal, against all the evidence, to say ‘okay, it’s a fair cop – we’ve given up on redistribution.’

radii8
    Participant

Amend: we do need more docking points – and we need distribution :)

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

The lack of redistribution is what made me get my own bicycle and use bobis opportunistically instead. But even that is a disappointment.

boneshaker
    Participant

I wholeheartedly agree that redistribution is a shambles and that more docking stations, while of course always welcome, are a diversion. In my experience – ie screaming at the call centre having joined a big circling group of riders unable to dock in any of seven stations – one significant problem is the failure of software. The woman at the call centre said they didn’t think they needed to redistribute because their data told them there were plenty of spaces in all those seven stations. We know this happens from our own experience of the faulty information on the street terminals. The catastrophe is that the on-street redistribution teams believe this faulty information and seem to have no idea when the docking stations are full.

radii8
    Participant

Slightly off-topic, but the major issue with me not buying my own bike is entirely to do with the fact bikes in London get stolen so frequently. It should be a never/very occasional event and it’s routine. If TfL could build ‘docking stations’ for non-hire bikes that were as secure as the ones built for hire bikes, I wouldn’t have such reliance on the bike hire scheme. I wouldn’t even mind paying a yearly charge parking, as long as it was managed by TfL and as long as they placed ‘docking stations’ in sensible places where people actually want to use them, and as long as there were enough of them.

urban
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

But there already is such a scheme. Annual fee is £60 for the first year, free for every following year. And you get a membership key. It’s called a Kryptonite lock ;)

Part of the risk of owning a private bike is not just the frame getting nicked but things like lights, front wheel, saddle (my saddle got stolen on the third day I owned a bike!). A dock wouldn’t solve those problems.

In all seriousness, that is a very good idea but one of the advantages of a communal bike system over private bikes is that you can pick up a bike from a different place to where you last docked a bike.

beermagnet
    Participant

Replying to @urban‘s post:

> one of the advantages … is that you can pick up a bike from a different place to where you last docked a bike.

Dock it and forget it.

Very, very useful. Example: Yesterday I boris’d over to Earl’s Court for the Great British Beer Fest. Naturally, I had to pour myself onto the tube to go home.

radii8
    Participant

Hi Urban – I think you are missing a trick :wink: My last bike was stolen whilst securely locked with a kryptonite lock. They didn’t go near the lock – they used an angle grinder to cut the bike off the stand instead. They do this in job lots all over central London.

What is needed in Central London is secure overnight parking for bikes.

Tyke
    Participant

I have seen Out of Hours redistribution with my own eyes. 10.40pm at Kings Cross on Sunday 21st August the racks were being filled by a Serco chap, he wasn’t smiling but then you can’t have everything!

Bromptonaut
    Participant

Don’t think the redistribution takes account of the holidays.

Carey St,behind the Royal Courts of Justice, is normally full at 09:30. But at the moment the courts are in recess and most occupants of the Inns are in Tuscany or wherever. Consequently there were only a handful of bikes there at 10:00 yesterday. Rdist still collected most leaving just two behind.

Chap
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

Quote:
    What is needed in Central London is secure overnight parking for bikes.

Hear hear!

radii8
    Participant

And on that note, if redistribution team could please bring some bikes to Scala Street W1 daily between 20.00 and 01.00am, it empties every day and bikes are actually needed between those times – weekends included. Please and thank you :!:

As for the replenishment of bikes in Foley Street W1 on a Saturday this is *much* appreciated and may it long continue :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.