Stats on the bike scheme

Home Forums Data Stats on the bike scheme

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Axleb 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Axleb
    Participant

I am trying to find some stats on the bike scheme and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. The sort of things that I am looking to find out are how many bikes get used per day for what period. I am guessing that I can get this from the boris bike data feed but as I am not a technical person I am struggling to see how to access this data so any help here would be great. I am also curious whether anybody knows of any demographic research on the bikes and lastly whether there are any stats on the numbers of different types of users eg annual subscriptions, one off payments etc. All for a project my son is working on so would be great to show him I can get this data! Any help much appreciated, thanks Alex

PHolley
    Participant

As it is a publicly funded scheme you can make a freedom of information request for the stats you want from TFL.

malcolmb1963
    Participant

There was a link “somewhere” in the forum to a location where you can download what I think was the first 6 months worth of trips for the whole system.

I recall some folks around here had some fun with it.

I pulled a copy – BIG files.

If you want a copy drop me a message ( pm this user on the left side) with your e-mail address and I’ll try and sent it via an ftp service like yousendit.com

Participant

Replying to @Axleb‘s post:

I’ll tell you what I tell all the other students that come on here asking the same questions: “Google is your friend!”

“Boris Bikes demographics” as a Google search gives plenty of results.

Try the “What do they know?” website for previously asked questions rather than wasting time on a new FOI reqeust.

adrianshort
    Participant

I made the original Freedom of Information Act request for this data.

TfL released the data in their developers’ area rather than directly to me. You need to be an approved registered developer to access it. The dataset is called Barclays Cycle Hire Statistics.

Axleb
    Participant

Thanks guys for your help with this looks like |I have a few hours of research on Google ahead of me but at least I know it is there

Thanks

Axleb
    Participant

Great information on the What do they know? never heard of it but looks like a place you could spend hours browsing thanks

Replying to @7209′s post:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.