SPAM ON THIS WEBSITE

Home Forums Love SPAM ON THIS WEBSITE

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chap 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

urban
    Participant

Hi,

Can the admins please sort out the spam. It’s becoming unbearable, and probably one of the reasons people aren’t contributing as much these days.

martin king
    Keymaster

Hi urban,

You are right, spam is all over this website. I have personally just gone through the first page of each “Theme”, deleting posts and topics I consider to be spam. Trying to clear it all up, however, is not a job a couple of people can do without making this an obsession. As such, the best way to clear up all spam on this site is for legitimate users to report spam posts, and thus bring these spam posts to the attention of the admins.

This is what needs to happen; if users want to see an improvement in the level of spam, then the users themselves need to actually do something.

I hope that this will motivate any legitimate users to contribute to the combating of spam.

Regards,

MK

Martin King - Spends more time playing games than cycling, and does not intend to change that.

urban
    Participant

Hi MK,

Yes, I totally accept that you can’t sit here all day deleting spam. But isn’t there a simple spam filter you can install on the theme?

Alternatively, how about giving a handful of trusted contributors the privileges to delete spam posts (rather than just reporting it to you).

martinc
    Participant

Hi everyone. As someone who can delete spam, I try to log in periodically to remove junk. I’m afraid I don’t have the technical know-how to do anything more in terms of blocking spam posts. It would help defeat the spammers of course if more real users of this forum posted stuff – or maybe we don’t have so much to say anymore?

Chap
    Participant

I remember raising this topic and even suggesting a free means of limiting it (reCAPTCHA – http://www.google.com/recaptcha) Instead of a reply, thanks, or any action taken, the thread was just deleted.

Most of the spam seems to come from opportunistic one off posters, a simple challenge on signing-up would probably thwart most of these posts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.