Sinking saddles

Home Forums Hate Sinking saddles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  radii8 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

boneshaker
    Participant

From the quick search I’ve just done, I don’t think anyone else has posted on this yet. But surely I’m not the only one who is cursed by the steadily sinking saddle?

It’s where you go over a bump and suddenly find you are sitting a notch lower than you were before. Once it starts, it just carries on descending and if you don’t want to be sitting below your knees you have to get off every couple of hundred yards and raise it. I thought at first it might be a question of where the clamp is positioned: if you twist it round to a certain point, you can close it beyond 90 degrees. But actually that makes no difference. And whereas this used to happen once in a blue moon, it now occurs with horrible regularity, maybe one journey in four lately.

It’s not a minor irritation, it makes a bike nigh unrideable if you’re reasonably tall and need a high saddle setting.

urban
    Participant

Very easy to sort out: when you unclamp the saddle, twist the nut on the opposite side and then reclamp it. That’ll make it really tight and the saddle will not slip at all.

Another problem it solves is the (really quite dangerous) swivelling saddle syndrome!

It’s easy to check whether you’ve tightened the nut enough – just try swivelling…if it turns when the clamp is locked, unclamp it and tighten it a little more. Usually you don’t need to tighten it more than about a 1/4 turn.

boneshaker
    Participant

Replying to @urban‘s post:Thanks. I’ll try that next time.

radii8
    Participant

They don’t oil the seats enough which makes them very stiff to move. The new bikes were absolutely lovely when they came out.

boneshaker
    Participant

Replying to @urban‘s post:

You were right, it does the trick. Thanks again

malcolmb1963
    Participant

Works fine until you encounter a nut that is seized – happened to me the first time a couple of days ago.

Haribo
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

Would you really like some grease all over your trousers?

radii8
    Participant

Replying to @Haribo‘s post:

No, but I would like the seat to not sidle down while I’m trying to keep up with speeding traffic along Victoria Embankment. I prefer safety over everything else.

Also, I don’t recall getting oil over my trousers (skirt) when the scheme started, so what changed?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.