Sign posting dock locations…

Home Forums Love Sign posting dock locations…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  congokid 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jamsandwich
    Participant

Has anyone picked up any information about whether the various councils are planning to signpost dock locations?

Without the iphone apps id find it fairly impossible to use this system as the docks are often tucked away down lanes and around the backs of buildings. It would be really useful to have small signs located pointing you in the general direction of a dock.

For example – around my (southwark bridge) there are two docs that Ive just discovered are relatively unused while the 3 major ones (globe, bankside, hopex) are hopelessly over subscribed.

I know London is littered with useless and impractical signs and posts – which even I generally think are a massive eyesore! but this would actually be USEFUL!

Participant

Believe it or not, the sort of sign you’re talking about costs about £300 each to manufacture & install (and that’s when using an existing post/street lamp!). You’d need 3 or 4 per docking station, so let’s say £1,000 per station for the sake of easy maths.

There are currently 420-ish (& rising!) docking stations, which means in excess of £420,000 would need to be found to pay for sucjh signage.

jamsandwich
    Participant

Thats interesting to note!

How much would something on the ground (spraypainted? road painted?) cost?

Participant

Depends if you’re doing it officially or guerilla styleee! ;)

dbrb2
    Participant

Stick on signs could be done for far less than £300 each – and attached to existing street infrastructure. A distinctive cycleHire blue, with an arrow and a roundel, is all that would be needed. I think susTrans sometimes do this to mark their national routes.

If these labels were attached to traffic signal poles, which TfL are responsible for anyway, then there would be no need to ask for permission either :-p

Roo10
    Participant

Part of the fun of using BB’s for exploring London is the out of the way places it takes you to find certain docking stations. Maybe i’m a bit odd but i enjoy finding my own quiet dock when the one round the corner is rammed with commuters… :wink:

Participant

Stick on signs are all well & good, but you need to have both existing signs in the right place to stick them on and space on the existing sign to stick it.

This would require a “surveyor” to basically walk the streets around every docking station & search for signs in the right place with some spare space on them….which is, realistically, not going to happen.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

There’s already enough clutter on our streets. Please no extra signs!

I find that randomly cycling around works well for finding docks – but using an iPhone map is better!

Budski
    Participant
    Quote:
    but using an iPhone map is better!

but wouldn’t it be nice if there was some sort of phone holder intigrated into the front basket!!

Participant

If they were to provide anything like that, some numpty wouldn’t secure their phone properly, it’d fall out & smash and then they’d try to sue TfL for a replacement. More trouble than it’s worth!

congokid
    Participant

Replying to @Budski‘s post:

Quote:
    but wouldn’t it be nice if there was some sort of phone holder intigrated into the front basket!!

…a bit like the basket adapter thingy I suggested in my post here.

There are apps and all sorts of other peripherals for iphones, so this is just one more, though it would need to be small enough to tote around, very quick to fit, and impossible to leave behind (otherwise I foresee people searching for iphones they forgot to detach after docking)…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.