Rear Lights disappearing and general poor maintenance of bikes

Home Forums Love Rear Lights disappearing and general poor maintenance of bikes

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  ashbro 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Ldnfatso
    Participant

I picked up a bike yesterday at the City Road Angel docking station and something occured to me. Out of the 20 bikes available only 2 still had their rear light on the bike. 1 light was even on the floor. I mean how on earth did that happen and if the people that deliver bikes on their vans were to clear up things like this perhaps more bikes would be better maintained.

My second gripe is that i noticed a same bike (18176) at Finsbury Square docked with a permanent red light for over 2 weeks. i even took a photo of its number coz i had seen it there for a couple of days in the far end dock. How often are bikes taken away to be mended and should it really take this time to just come and collect it?? Also, all the time it is there unusable, so is the precious dock, especially around rush hour.

yorkiebar
    Participant

By light do you mean the reflector mounted on the read mudguard ? The lights are built into the frame of the bike so unlikely to be removed. However some people grab hold of the (stuck on) reflector when undocking I believe and so these come off.

Ldnfatso
    Participant

yes i do mean the reflector light attached to the mudguard!

yorkiebar
    Participant

Ah, OK. It’s not a light though just a reflector :)

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

The Toronto bikes are identical to ours in every way *except* they don’t have this extra reflector. Either it was a late addition to the Bixi design for London which didn’t really work, or the designers have realised how fragile and unnecessary they are.

Either way, I dont expect they will be replaced.

Ldnfatso
    Participant

Either way these reflectors cost money to be there in the first place. Whether a late addition or not they should not just have been stuck to the mudguard, they should have been screwed to it.

djc
    Participant

Replying to @cyclingnewbie‘s post:

They were an addition for London. Possibly because it is (or was) a legal requirement for bikes (and all other road vehicles) to have a reflector.

Bromptonaut
    Participant

Barely half the fleet have reflectors. More worryingly I’ve seen several with massive wobbles in the rear wheel.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Yes – another cyclist stopped me to point out a wobbly wheel. The cycle still felt fine to ride though!

Disappointed
    Participant

Bicycles must display a rear reflector by law. So these bikes are actually unlawful and shouldn’t be in use.

yorkiebar
    Participant

Replying to @Disappointed‘s post:

Technically yes but I hope people don’t “red light” bikes because of this.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Boris bikes have two rear reflectors. One attached to the seat which (usually!) doesn’t fall off.

timjwatts
    Participant

I nearly squashed another dumb tourist today – went for the bell and it went “splink” in rather the manner of a chaffinch with laryngitis.

Think I’ll just yell at them by default now on…

gingerjon
    Participant

Replying to @timjwatts‘s post:

Same. Hyde Park and they were a bit lost rather than deliberately on the cycle track but a bit alarming when you go to ding and no sound comes out.

ashbro
    Participant

I was going to dock at LMU Commercial Road the other day when I saw a group of ‘youths’ going along kicking off the reflectors one after another. It seems like this is a new pasttime for bored adolescents. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.