Questions from a new borris biker

Home Forums Questions Questions from a new borris biker

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jinglouis 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Highkicker79
    Participant

I’ve only just started to use this scheme and so far think it is fantastic. After trialling it with a few 24 hour access fees, I stumped up for a full year’s payment. I now love the feeling of cycling knowing that I’m saving £2 every journey as that is what it would cost me to go by tube. I’m cycling from Euston to Soho so it’s only a 13 mins cycle journey so it makes sense to use it rather than the tube. Plus I’ve found a relatively quiet route which I feel pretty safe on. Anyway, I’ve got a few questions for those who are more experienced and knowledgeable:

1. If a cycle has minor issues e.g. the bell is not working, lights not working, tyres feel a tad under flatted. Should the bike be marked as broken? I’ve only marked two bikes as broken when they clearly were (one had a broken mudguard that was scraping along the back tyre, the other had a dangerous buckled rear wheel).

2. I occasionally see seats swivelled round 180 degrees and thought it was some drunken idiot doing it but eventually realised that they may be done to indicate a broken bike. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? It is such a good idea if it is as makes it easier to see if all bikes are broken from a distance. I will start to do that from now on if that is the case.

3. I know how to mark a cycle as broken but how do you mark a docking point as broken? There have been a few times when the LEDs on a docking point do not work. It’s very annoying as you are not sure if the cycle has docked properly or not.

4. I have heard the cycle scheme is not making much money as most of the journey’s fall within the free 30 mins. Does anyone know what the possible plans are for the scheme, will the prices increase and/or will they change it so even the 30 mins journeys are chargeable?

Overall, a fantastic scheme and really enjoy the little bit of extra exercise although it isn’t much.

Sorry to all those that like the bells down. For the past few weeks, I’ve been moving the bells to the up position thinking it was another drunken idiot messing about with the bikes. It was only recently that I realised how much more natural it feels when the bell is down. I’m now a ‘bell down’ convert but I can totally understand why some bells are up as they could be people who don’t actually even think they can be used down.

urban
    Participant

Hey there! Welcome to the scheme. It’ll make you fitter, faster and happier.

Ok, so…

1 – yes, please do red light damaged bikes. Small problems can develop into big (and dangerous) ones, and red lighting is the only way to make sure the problem gets seen to fast. There are some who say you shouldn’t red light a broken bell, and I’d tend to agree, given how often I find broken bells. The new bells on the new bikes are said to be more reliable (and – thankfully – fixed in the down position!). Anyway, use your judgement – it’s not antisocial to red light, quite the opposite. Although in peak hours, it might be fairer just to leave the bike in service.

2 – this is something that started in Paris and spread here. I don’t bother because it’s quite obvious from the big red light on the docking point that the bike is out of use.

3 – only by emailing TfL, unfortunately. I found a dock that simply wouldn’t accept a bike yesterday. Annoying as it was the only free dock in the station (and because of that, the terminal won’t let me get a free 15 min extension). If you find that the lights don’t come on when you dock, the problem is more likely to be that you haven’t docked properly. Lift the back wheel up and the bike will probably pop out. If it doesn’t, then call TfL, or you may be landed with a big fine (as I was, when the system didn’t realise that I had docked).

4 – from the blonde one’s manifesto:

“I will explore expanding the scheme further into outer London town centres, with a capacity study of six major

town centres – Bromley, Croydon, Hounslow, Kingston, Richmond, and Romford – to be conducted and the

results published by the end of the year.”

http://www.backboris2012.com/system/storage/60/7c/5/1757/Boris-Johnson-2012-Transport-Manifesto.pdf

The pricing system is tried and tested around the world. Paris expanded massively and stuck with the free 30 mins. I can’t see any reason to change that here.

ozzage
    Participant

What he said, and yes bells down please :)

(There’s not actually consensus on that here, but I got in first)

re no. 4 I don’t think they’ll change the charging in a hurry. What wasn’t mentioned above is the upcoming expansion westwards. This is already agreed I believe and in Hammersmith and Fulham at least, they have identified the sites already and will hopefully soon put the planning permissions in so that I can go and put enthusiastic comments against each one :)

jinglouis
    Participant

Necessary used throughout is top quality. There ergo baby carrier are 400 strings per inches wide of organic cotton poplin that has been used in the protect and coating to create without doubt your kids contains the softest of components against its epidermis. Also, the entire material used is perfectly organic cotton to produce sure that you won’t need to be worried about any sort of hypersensitive reactions around the child’s epidermis. This article also does not entice any toxins, insects or substances with it.The truly great solidity memory polyurethane space-age foam which is used inside the bands leads to great relaxation to dad and mom or guardian if they bring your son or daughter around. You do not remain with any marks with your neck a result of the bands http://www.ergocarrierstore.com stinging on down hard into your epidermis just like happen while using the other varieties of providers. The midsection buckle features a quarter inches wide great solidity inside neoprene memory polyurethane space-age foam for even more relaxation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.