Putting my key to sleep

Home Forums Hate Putting my key to sleep

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  zefrog 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

zefrog
    Participant

I have been using the scheme daily almost since it started but in the past few days, I have been having problems inserting my key into the slots of the docking points and it was just as hard to take it out again. It doesn’t visibly seem deformed but there is clearly a problem with marks of friction having appeared on it.

So tonight I rang the dreaded call centre and was told that my key would probably soon split open and I wouldn’t be able to use it. I therefore had to have another one sent out.

The catch is that to do that, they had to deactivate my current key. This means that although I have an annual membership, I will have to go casual (using a different credit card, of course!!!) until I receive the new key… the system proves O so user friendly, once again…

thanks for reading my rant to the end…

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Yes – the same has happened to me.. Twice! A good question for the managers! https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/media/questiontime/default.aspx

Participant

Considering you’ll have to activate the new one, it shouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for you to do an activate/deactivate swap over the phone when the new one arrives.

zefrog
    Participant

nope, they have to deactivate one before they can send another one. I am currently keyless… :(

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Yes – thy won’t dispatch a new key until

the old one is cancelled. Bonkers!

beermagnet
    Participant

Replying to @zefrog‘s post:

I had key trouble like you experienced early on – an inability to easily get it in the slot – and at one point very great difficulty getting it out again!

I detected that the plastic had split and the RF chip had shifted a bit inside making the key very slightly thicker.

Back home I cracked it open. The chip should sit in a slight indentation on one side and has a litle dimple to hold it in place. I superglued it and clamped it tight and it has been fine ever since.

zefrog
    Participant

Oooh, that’s a good tip! I’ll use that next time that happens. Thanks

ooters
    Participant

this has happened to me twice, I believe it’s when the keys get too wet, some sort of expansion!

first key was replaced free of charge, second I had to pay for, tried arguing that the I renewed my annual subscription in the mean time so should be entitled to another key!! ( no luck)

:mrgreen:

zefrog
    Participant

As I should have expected, getting a replacement key hasn’t been plain sailing. First they forgot to send me my new key. then they sent me one that didn’t work and had to send me a second one. Strangely I got it in less then 24hrs too. Not sure how they managed that… I still have to activate it and see if it works, mind… fingers crossed.

All that while I have had to use the scheme as a casual user… and that wasn’t the smoothest of experiences either…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.