New Docking Station Southwark Tube Station

Home Forums Love New Docking Station Southwark Tube Station

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  jamsandwich 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Roo10
    Participant

Just seen a new DS at Southwark Tube, only half open and is split between seperate sections with steps up and down.. are steps a good idea with bikes?

Anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

martinc
    Participant

I saw it under construction last week, glad to hear it is opening. Is there not a ramp, steps sound really silly, especially as the bikes are heavy. But at least it’s a big dock and adds to capacity south of the river.

dbrb2
    Participant

The one actually on Blackfriars road is still closed – there was a man with an angle grinder….grinding things…when I went past today.

But the one just around the back of Southwark station has been open for a few days and is really handy at the moment. I imagine it will become very popular when people find out it exists!

jamsandwich
    Participant

steps.

srsly

#facepalm

Roo10
    Participant

This is going to be really funny to watch how people use it, will they adopt a one way approach, in from Blackfriers and out from the other side or will it be a mash of people all trying to get in and out the same way. even more funny that it will be mainly TfL’ers using the DS as it’s right opposite their head office :D

Boris
    Keymaster

TfL Press Office just rang me about this one. They sounded a little surprised themselves to find a docking station had been installed where access was restricted by stairs (I believe 5 steps in total).

The press office have since looked into it and have been informed by the docking station planners that at this stage the stair situation with Southwark Tube docking station is a one-off. They are also interested in gaining some feedback from anyone that has tried the new docking station and how they found dealing with the stairs.

This thread is being watched by TfL so please post your constructive comments on the Southwark Tube docking station below.

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

Participant

When I walked past this morning, “Southwark Station 2″ (the dock on Blackfriars Road side of the station) was still fenced-off.

Whilst the design could do with a bit of a re-think, it must be remembered that this is on the roof of the tube station, which is why it’s elevated. I walk past every day & watched them build this dock – it’s effectively a false floor so that the cabling could be installed (just like a false floor in an office). One of the major upsides of this dock is that, because it’s TfL property & there’s obviously power etc. there already, they’ve managed to install floodlights too! :)

martinc
    Participant

I used this station yesterday evening (only part of it is open as has been already stated). I was dubious in advance about the stairs but found them no impediment in practice, there are only 5. Ideally they should be replaced by a ramp in the longer term.

dbrb2
    Participant

I’ve been using the dock quite a lot – but only once the “raised” platform up the steps.

The steps weren’t a problem – although if I had a heavy weight in the basket I can see it might have been more difficult.

The site uses docks on a metal plate, rather than in proper foundations. This seems to make docking bikes a little more difficult, since some of the energy of pushing the bike in just makes the metal plate move – but generally a really good site.

I did notice, according to the syndicated XML feed for this site, it was installed in June…which it wasn’t. But then again some of the sites in that feed were apparently installed in 1970, so it could be worse :-)

Cathryn
    Participant

I have recently discovered that the easiest way to get up a curb is to ride the bike up it (sorry, I know, but it always looked hard, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover it isn’t). How about 5 steps? Or coming down them?

Boris
    Keymaster

Just spotted this on Flickr. I’m guessing this is the dock everyone is talking about?

Looks like it has narrow ramp on one side of the stairs.

6025173885_ed19866224.jpg

Megadock by Alan Perryman, on Flickr

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

Participant

Yes, that’s the one that’s open on the Joan St side of the station.

The narrow ramp is there to roll the bikes up/down and is just a little wider than the tyres.

davidq100
    Participant

Replying to @dbrb2‘s post:

Quote:
    “The site uses docks on a metal plate, rather than in proper foundations.”

Is this the first instance where Serco have created a docking station using the “Drop and Go” system? It’s apparently a key USP of the Bixi system. null

Maybe this approach would be the better solution for the Olympics or other events: temporary docking stations that get parachuted-in for a limited duration.

Alternatively you’d imagine that it would be a less expensive and quicker way of expanding the scheme.

Ruzzi
    Participant

I docked at the station yesterday and at 65 years old found by using the gully to the right hand side of the 5 steps it was relatively easy to push the bike upwards – before docking I tested taking it down also using the gully. Being righthanded it was a little cumbersome but nevertheless ok. How many users will notice the gully and use it is another matter. There were two other users present but they were taking out bikes from the ground level.

I am surprised Boris that TFL press office were not aware of this gully in their response to you? Especially in view of the article dated 26th January on the London SE1 community website stating: “As the docking station will be above ground level, two new sets of stairs with wheel channels for bicycles will be provided”

But then my experience of communication with TFL about the scheme is very poor as also are their Customer Service when it comes to knowledge about the docking stations themselves.

BTW:

Looking at Southwark Station 2 it’s opening maybe being delayed because the entry steps from Blackfriars Road, of which there are 7, do not yet have the afforementiond “wheel channel” and users would surely struggle?

I noticed however that the same access can be gained from just 3 steps the other side of these entry ones and within the main dock area and which does have a “wheel channel” on the left hand side?

A further 4 steps lead you to the upper docking area and these again do have a “wheel channel”

All very odd!

martinc
    Participant

Southwark 2 opened yesterday. The big new dock on Cheapside is also now open.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.