Motorcyclists using ASLs

Home Forums Hate Motorcyclists using ASLs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mit 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

radii8
    Participant

Every junction I use has motorcyclists in the Advanced Stop Line. I am told advanced motorcycle training advises motorcyclists to get to the front of the traffic. There appears to be no way for motorcyclists to get to the front of traffic without using the ASL.

What do you think the anwer is to this road use conflict? Should motorcyclists have a separate ‘motorcyclist box’ behind the ASL? Are ASLs useful – do they serve their purpose? Are they fit for purpose?

MarkE
    Participant

Cameras at junctions. Same applies with cars.

Really, though, I’d prefer some kind of rule that prevented smaller vehicles (bicycles and m/bikes) advancing past other motor vehicles queuing at junctions.

bbb
    Participant

Actually, I don’t mind them in ASLs. See it from their point of view. The alternative is waiting at the back of the queue of traffic, or stop alongside traffic in blind spots. I’ve never had a problem with them – if they’re blocking the entrance to the ASL I politely ask them to move to let me in, and they always do.

I’d support on-the-spot lifetime driving bans for any drivers of cars/taxis/vans/buses/police cars(!) that stop in ASLs though.

Quote:
    I’d prefer some kind of rule that prevented smaller vehicles (bicycles and m/bikes) advancing past other motor vehicles queuing at junctions.

You’re joking, right?

mit
    Participant

As above, I don’t think it’s a big deal. They get away at the lights faster than anything else on the road so aside from blocking the path of a cyclist trying to get in the ASL area I don’t think they cause any harm (and I come across far more timid cyclists who block my path in this way).

That said, I am a motorcyclist and I don’t need to use the ASL. There was no such thing as an ASL a few years ago and motorcyclists managed to get ahead of traffic then. The standard bike test says you should filter through traffic but not right to the front of the queue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.