Join the Blackfriars flashride tomorrow

Home Forums Love Join the Blackfriars flashride tomorrow

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  redfalo 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

redfalo
    Participant

TfL plans to increase the speed limit for cars from 20 to 30mph, and – as Mark on the “I bike London” blog describes, “cycle lanes will be squeezed and shoved to one side, carriageways for cars will increase from two lanes to three. In all effect, they are hell-bent on creating a 1960s-style urban motorway, completely to the detriment of all other road users…”

Tomorrow at 6pm there will be a flash ride on Blackfriars Bridge organised by London Cycling Campaign. Meeting point is the Doggets pub south of the river.

I’ll be there – and I hope to see many of you guys, too!

Here’s the email by LCC on the ride:

Quote:

Blackfriars matters to all of us as it is symptomatic of TfL’s car centred planning prevalent on in all London boroughs and it is likely to define the City for decades to come.

So we’re asking all London cyclists to show their anger at the lack of action to improve safety for cyclists at Blackfriars by joining LCC’s slow ride across the bridge tomorrow at 6pm.

Please meet us outside Doggetts pub at the south end of the bridge

Our message is “Why aren’t you listening, Boris?”

Here’s my blog post on that matter, and one by Mark and LCC’s petition regarding the speed limit on Blackfriars.

radii8
    Participant

I will if I can find a Boris Bike! lolz :-)

(bet they’ll remove them all now)

redfalo
    Participant

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

Good luck finding a bobi at 6 in the City… this will be more like a flash mob of pedestrians holding Barlcays key fobs, wandering like zombies for the next bobi…. bikes… we need bikes…

Irena
    Participant

Replying to @BrigitteBardotBikes‘s post:

Any bikeless pedestrians who want the bike culture to be encouraged … so London feels a bit more Amsterdam, and a bit less Los Angeles … should come along too, to join in the fun. Boris needs to know that pedestrians and cyclists are ‘traffic’ too, and could do with a bit more space on the roads.

jamsandwich
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

Hmm actually – thats an interesting concept… disuading “protesting” by removing and disabling transport access and boris bikes

Wonder if thats something the MET has considered.

radii8
    Participant

Replying to @jamsandwich‘s post:

Perhaps we could have placards that say “would have cycled but couldn’t find a bike” :-)

martinc
    Participant

I will certainly be there and will ding my bell at other Boris bikers. The new design is an outrage to road safety and any concept that we are working towards a ‘greener’ city.

Little tip – loads of bikes returning to Waterloo area just before 6pm, pick one up there and just a short cycle along Upper Ground to the Doggetts pub.

redfalo
    Participant

There also is a Facebook event regarding the flashride, so you can invite your cycling friends: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226475660727109

congokid
    Participant

Replying to @martinc‘s post:

Quote:

loads of bikes returning to Waterloo area just before 6pm, pick one up there and just a short cycle along Upper Ground to the Doggetts pub

Sound tip.

I’m working near Fleet Street today so will be turning up on my Brompton.

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

Replying to @BrigitteBardotBikes‘s post:

More like Amsterdam and less Los Angeles. That’s a good phrase. It would be nice indeed.

redfalo
    Participant

here’s another good post by Mark on the Blackfriar’s mess: http://ibikelondon.blogspot.com/2011/07/tonights-night-for-blackfriars-bridge.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.