Inactivity 'killing as many as smoking'

Home Forums Love Inactivity 'killing as many as smoking'

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bvpi157 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

radii8
    Participant

With an inactivity health pandemic on the way likely to cost this country billions, plus the rising cost of pollution in EU fines and health costs, why has noone thought of a preventative measure of building protected bicycle lanes to encourage new modes of transport that involve increased activity as part of the solution? Cyclists could save the UK millions!

If funds could be redirected from failed government projects into protected lanes and sensible junction infrastructure and cyclist priority, we could get our children on the roads cycling to school. With proper segregated and protected infrastructure we could get willing commuters willing to cycle.

martinc
    Participant

An utterly sensible suggestion. One which I hope everyone on this site is working to promote – imagine London without the cars and taxis but with gentle and serene Boris bikes ruling the streets, taking children to school, me to work, and tourists to London’s best sights.

Matt
    Participant

I’m a firm believer that zone 1 should be made into a public transport only zone, with the exception of delivery vehicles.

radii8
    Participant

It would just be nice to have the choice to cycle. Protected bikes lanes would help. It shouldn’t be more scary to cycle than get on a bus or cross the road.

bvpi157
    Participant

Health benefits can be taken into account when making investment decisions in traffic schemes – but it’s quite complicated/hard to prove and currently less ‘valuable’ than the assumed economic benefits of shaving seconds off journey times.

I’d like to see easier/better ways to more fully reflect the public value of cycling trips and so make a stronger case for the sorts of schemes that make cycling safer, more enjoyable, more likely to be taken up by more people and for cycling to represent a greater proportion of trips across all demographies.

In the hard economics of transport business cases, cycling is still struggling to compete effectively against the volumes and values of other road users. It needs to change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.