Ignore Spanish tourists on the pavement

Home Forums Hate Ignore Spanish tourists on the pavement

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  congokid 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JohnRawlins
    Participant

Don’t get too upset if you see any Spanish tourists riding their Boris bikes on the pavement in London.

The Spanish version of the Barclays Cycle Hire information sheet clearly advises people not to ride bikes on the roads.

The page can be found here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/languages/espanol/spanish-barclays-cycle-hire.pdf

The second from last page contains a series of dos and don’ts. The second of the ‘don’ts’ (numbers 12) says:

‘NO circule en la calzada a menos que este senalizada como via de uso compartido,’ (accents removed).

The exact English translation is:

‘Do not ride on the road unless a sign indicates that the road is for shared use.’

Of course, the translation has confused the word ‘calzada’ (meaning road) for ‘acera’ (meaning pavement or sidewalk).

This information sheet must also confuse a great many Spanish-speaking visitors to London.

HalfPintBiker
    Participant

Ah – I was running at Regent’s Park today – on the outer circle, and saw two young tourists in flip flops cycle on the inner pavement, getting very confused looks when they got to the busy area around London Zoo! And evil stares from young mothers with their children. I have to say I am pretty impressed with any non-english speaker who manages to hire one of the bikes as a casual users anyway…

chineseJohn
    Participant

I once had to shout at a tourist on the other side of the road in Regents Park that they were cycling in the wrong direction, ie towards the flow of traffic on the road!

congokid
    Participant

Replying to @chineseJohn‘s post:

Quote:

they were cycling in the wrong direction, ie towards the flow of traffic on the road!

That happens on Chancery Lane every day, but I don’t think the cyclists involved are tourists…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.