Hot-docking your bike

Home Forums Love Hot-docking your bike

This topic contains 54 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  garethm 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

I’ve got this to a fine art – I make a nice wide turn so the front wheel is lined up with the dock, give one last push on the pedal to push the front wheel into the jaws, and click! I walk away. Anybody else do this? :)

Dan Thomas
    Participant

I’ve wanted to try but I thought the hard stop at the dock would cause me to go over the handlebars or at least bruise my saddle interface.

chrispmatthews
    Participant

I do that too! There’s some sort of feeling of power by efficiency that accompanies it. Lovely bit of docking.

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

The only mistake I keep making is throwing my leg over the saddle to mount and dismount – 20 years of riding a man’s mountain bike is hard to unlearn! I look like a complete idiot doing that, probably.

Dan Thomas
    Participant

Actually, I hadn’t even thought of getting on/off the bike any other way… years of having never ridden a girls bike (which BoBis are strangely based on)

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

Women(‘s bikes) are actually easier to mount and dismount :)

I’m getting used to them. I will try to remember tonight.. do not throw leg over saddle… do not throw leg over saddle…

Dan Thomas
    Participant

Is that why girls bikes have those frames then, so they don’t flash the rest of the world like they’re on the cover of the Daily Sport? Had never realised, thought it was just a strange aesthetic custom.

jamsandwich
    Participant

HA

Im doing the “hotdocking” thing too..

still only manage to get 1 out of every 3 or 4 right though…

robino
    Participant

Umm, doesn’t hot-docking like this mean you have to cycle on the pavement? I’ll tell teacher…

Participant

@Dan Thomas: “bruise my saddle interface” – absolutely brilliant!!!

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

Actually here’s my next item on the wishlist: make all BBs male, so we can enjoy watching skirt-wearing users hop on and off :)

Girlspeedo
    Participant

I thought about giving it a go the other day but bottled it cos it felt a bit “rude” for some reason… erm… just me then.

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

It’s not rude. I look forward to the day I will be hotdocking my bike and see someone else doing it at the same time – hopefully we will exchange a reciprocal glance of smugness and complicity.

Is that sad?

FarringdonEd
    Participant

Well unfortunately Hatton Wall and North Wharf Road (my two docks of choice) are both up significant kerbs with no ramps so trying to do this would just mean I end up over the handlebars and on the pavement in a heap. However at South Wharf Road I do appear to have this off to a tee.

Now must avoid the temptation at the end of every journey to print off a journey record as proof that I docked successfully in case I ever get a £300 “didn’t dock correctly” punishment..

yorkiebar
    Participant

Yup, I just ride the bike into the docking station, controlling the speed so as not to do a comedy OTB when it docks. Quick check that there’s a green light and I’m off :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.