Finding a Boris Bike alternative

Home Forums Questions Finding a Boris Bike alternative

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Loshu 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Boris
    Keymaster

So the time has come – I would like to buy my own bicycle. I love the Boris Bikes, but since moving out to SE14, my use of the trusty old BB’s has steadily declined and my waistline is gradually expanding. I need to do something about it!

I love the upright position of the BB’s. Also the solid frame, simple gears and comfy saddle. This leads me to consider a classic or dutch style bike.

I love the look and sound of these – http://www.dutchie.co.uk/dutchie-dapper.html , but at £319, I’m not sure if I can afford it. I’ve seen similar bikes for £500+ elsewhere so I suppose £319 is not too bad.

However I have just spotted this in the Halford’s sales for just £179 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_700743_langId_-1_categoryId_231005#dtab

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I just go for the £179 one? Or would it be worth my time to save a little more and get the Dutchie? Or should I consider another alternative?

Chris.

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

Boris
    Keymaster

Well I took the plunge and last night bought myself a bicycle for the first time in over 20 years. I am now the very proud owner of a Halfords Real Classic Gents Bicycle!

At this point I am in 100% agreement with this review on the Halfords site:

“I could ride this bike all day – it just glides along and is so comfortable. The 3 speed hub gears have a good range – and in 3rd it keeps up effortlessly with a mountain bike in 21st so the ratio seems similar. In 1st it will go up any hill without too much effort. The ‘tick tick tick’ of the gear hub in 2nd and 3rd (it does not tick in 1st as Sturmey Archers don’t) is musical and you can tell which gear you are in and how fast you are going by ear. Sturmey Archer (taken over as SA/Sunrace in 2000) have been going for years and among thousands of bikes worldwide – even the Chopper bikes of the 70s proudly carried their reliable hubs which are latterly completely sealed and maintenance free! I’ve been a long distance cyclist in the past and would think nothing of setting off on a 300 mile road trip on this bike – it is so comfortable. Another reviewer mentioned that your top hat would not become dislodged on this bike – and I agree! Every bike should come with a copy of H.G. Wells’ book The Wheels of Chance – its a good synergy of modern cycliing and great tradition! A super machine for the money that glides for me anyway!”

So I guess I’m now part of the 1 in 5 Boris Bikers who have gone on to buy cycling equipment.

I plan to retain my annual membership for now. I feel so attached to our lovely blue Boris Bikes. If it weren’t for them I wouldn’t cycling around London with a big smile across my face.

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

Loshu
    Participant

Looks like a bargain, I hope you enjoy many miles together.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.