Embarassing but IMPORTANT

Home Forums Hate Embarassing but IMPORTANT

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jamsandwich 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Paul58
    Participant

I started using Boris Bikes a couple of months ago and during that time have contracted Dhobie (Jock) itch twice.

I have never had this condition before and the coincidence between using Boris Bikes and this is compelling.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Bimbles
    Participant

You didn’t take part in the naked cycle ride did you? :oops:

Paul58
    Participant

No, didn’t know there was one?

Matt
    Participant

I’d never even heard of it until today! What trousers/undies were you wearing? Maybe it could be something in the material that’s causing irritation? I’d go see a doctor if I were you as it could be a mild allergy or something.

Paul58
    Participant

Cotton boxers and a suit. Saw a doc and he said that a 15 min cycle ride in morning and evening was unlikely to cause problem on its own. I’m trying to find anyone else who may have same problem to indicated an infection that is being passed around.

Unpleasant subject I know.

Bimbles
    Participant

Replying to @Paul58‘s post:

Naked bike ride: Story Link

London-UK-Naked-cyclists--008.jpg

truthmonkey
    Participant

Jock itch (tinea cruris) is the irritation of a fungus that normally resides on the skin without causing problems. It is therefore unlikely that you “caught” it from a bicycle seat – in the same way that it’s fairly hard to catch things from toilet seats. Especially if you were wearing trousers at the time.

The inflammation of fungus is caused by heat and moisture. People who are overweight, wearing tight shorts or are wet will be worst affected. As your doctor identifies a 15 minutes bicycle ride shouldn’t be causing you to heat up or sweat to the point it would irritate.

I’m guessing your doctor has advised an anti-fungal cream? Liberal use of this, airing of the affected area and drying thoroughly after a shower or swim will all help quick healing. Talc will also keep the area dry.

Paul58
    Participant

Thanks.

Yes, I’m using Clotrimazole.

malcolmb1963
    Participant

Replying to @Paul58‘s post:

Canesten is pretty good. I did get a funny look from the lady in Boots when she asked me if my wife had used it before and I replied it was for my boll**ks :lol: (btw I’m not married).

congokid
    Participant

I seem to get this regularly on my butt on holiday, when it’s usually hot weather and I spend a lot of time by the pool or on the beach in wet Speedos (don’t laugh, they’re not the skimpy brief type). I use Lanacane powder but it still takes quite a while to clear up afterward.

jamsandwich
    Participant

sounds ridiculous – but get the canestan one pill – internet pharmacies (chemistdirect.co.uk?) do this much cheaper, and less embarassingly, than going into boots for it.. you might need to fudge the questions they ask when you order though.

The pill should clear up any “lingering” fungus, and then double strength clotrimazole (2%) should speed up any local issues.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.