Eastern Extension Progress

Home Forums Love Eastern Extension Progress

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mudchute 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

mudchute
    Participant

I’m delighted to see that work is well on the way on installing the ‘up to 40′ bike docking station on Spindrift Avenue on the Isle of Dogs near Mudchute, just weeks after receiving planning permission. Does anyone else have any updates on progress around Tower Hamlets? This one is only a minute’s walk from my house so I see it every day but I haven’t spotted any others going in yet, though I imagine there must be.

When the extension was announced I assumed they would slowly add stations further and further away from the central area so they could be activated straight away, gradually expanding the hire area, but maybe that’s not the plan and they intend to get them all in and do a ‘big bang’ launch like they did in the central area. If anyone has any inside info on this I’d be very interested to hear. I’d also be interested to hear of any planning applications that were turned down.

matthew barry
    Participant

Just outside Stepney Green tube station a row of square plates has appeared on the pavement, that always seems to be associated with the imminent appearance of a docking station. Also, the station outside the Royal London doubled in size about a month ago.

mudchute
    Participant

Thanks for the update! If they wanted to they could bring the Stepney Green one into action pretty quickly as it’s so close to existing ones in Whitechapel. I wonder if they will.

Bimbles
    Participant

mudchute
    Participant

I was just thinking it wouldn’t make sense to open one in isolation such as my local one at the Isle of Dogs. You need to have a choice of reachable destinations and enough alternative docking stations for when one is full or empty.

Mr-Forward
    Participant

Hi Mudchute.

I live near you (Thermoplyae Gate) but I haven’t been down Spindrift Ave for a while to see the progress being made on the docking station. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread for more news.

Looks like this might be the first Isle of Dogs one.

mudchute
    Participant

Hi Mr Forward.

Well they’ve now put in all the base plates and by my counting there are 35 of them, give or take one (plus one near the middle for the terminal thingy). Quite interesting to see how it all goes in. They dig a trench the full length of the docking station, wiggling round the manholes and the cabling goes in corrugated plastic tubing (probably about 8″ in diameter with little spurs going up to each dock. There are then two bits of wood which hold each the metal plates in position which are positioned at the end of each corrugated plastic spur. They seem to be working pretty quickly which is lucky as they’ve temporarily closed the D3 bus stop opposite.

You’ll also be getting one near the southbound platform at Mudchute.

Mr-Forward
    Participant

Carriageway adjacent to 2-108 Telegraph Place, Spindrift Avenue, E14

Footway adjacent to Mudchute DLR Station, East Ferry Road, London

I’ve found the council plans for both sites. No date for completion that I can see.

Paulos
    Participant

As I put in the new docking stations thread there is one nearly ready for operation on Manchester Road and the one by Island Gardens will probably be completed soon as the groundwork has been done.

mudchute
    Participant

Excellent. Looks like they’re making good progress on the Isle of Dogs then.

mudchute
    Participant

Well they certainly seem to be springing up all over Tower Hamlets now. My local one is now complete and today I spotted new installations at Shadwell station and just across from Limehouse station. Really looking forward to cycling round the docks and canals of east London and to using the CS3 super highway!

Paulos
    Participant

Island Gardens docking point was completed at the weekend. Surprising how quickly they put them in. If anyone is interested in how they’re built look for one of the planning applications which obviously goes into some detail of their construction.

Paulos
    Participant

I’ve noticed the docking point opposite Canary Wharf tube is under construction. 63 docking points.

mudchute
    Participant

I noticed that tonight too – I’m surprised Canary Wharf Group agreed to that given how many ‘marketing stands’ and events they have there. Now I’ll have a choice of bus, DLR or bike for my onward journey down the Island (assuming there are any available in the evening). I’m fascinated to see the usage pattern once the extension opens.

ozzage
    Participant

Four are now enabled on the maps! How long have they been there?

https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/maps

http://bikes.oobrien.com/

you have to scroll to the right…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.