E-Day

Home Forums Love E-Day

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mudchute 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

martinc
    Participant

The day has come at last (well, in 3 hours). Cycle hire expanding east into Tower Hamlets, west towards Westfield shops, and north into Hackney. I’ll be cycling onto the Isle of Dogs tomorrow afternoon, hope to hear your first reactions to the new docks too!

Bimbles
    Participant

Sod the new docks – think about all the clean & shiny new bikes that are going to be added!

ozzage
    Participant

AND did you all read that the new bikes have “upgraded saddles and bells”, as stated in the paper this morning??

Anybody seen those yet? Hopefully the saddles have been changed so you don’t spend the whole time sliding forward, and the bells are now locked in the DOWN position :)

simon_macl
    Participant

Dare I say it but it all seems to have gone rather smoothly today?

I wasn’t in the area but there seems to have been no adverse effect on the bikes I took out, the latency plot at http://cyclehire.eu/main/latency/plot.php seems to suggest there have been no big computer issues, and the maps seem to have been updating fine.

I have to admit I was surprised when looking at the individual station plots on http://bikes.oobrien.com/ to see how few bikes were taken out during the day around Canary Wharf – I guess people need to get used to the idea

mudchute
    Participant

I think a lot of people hadn’t put it in their diaries and weren’t ‘prepared’ for a bike ride but I fear that it won’t be long before we see some empty and full docks. Today has been a dream though. I cycled Tower Hamlets from top to bottom (and bottom to top) without needing to spend any significant time on main roads. Went round the Millwall Dock, up the river, across to the canal and through Victoria Park all the way to the Olympic Park and the ViewTube. Did stop off once at Victoria Park to avoid being charged where a couple of kids were very jealous and asked me to unlock a bike so they could have a ride! Naturally I did no such thing!

ayeomans
    Participant

At Cheapside today the saddles were given promotional Barclays “shower caps”. Nice when it’s been raining.

mudchute
    Participant

Actually I forgot to mention that the new saddles were REALLY comfy. I thought maybe it was just the newness till I’d heard they’d been redesigned. I seemed to be working harder in 3rd gear but maybe it’s just that I haven’t cycled so far on one before so I was getting tired rather than a change to the gears.

martinc
    Participant

It’s been an eventful day for me, and I’m so stupid I didn’t even realise the saddles were improved. I think mudchute may win the prize for first journey on the Isle of Dogs!

I loved travelling out from the City along CS3 to Westferry. Definitely the best of the superhighways. Canary Wharf is not an easy area to cycle, but there were Serco people on hand to help, and I headed off down Westferry Road (no docks in sight) and docked at Spindrift Avenue. My efforts to get a bike at Stebondale Street failed and this was my first call to the helpdesk of the day. A large piece of carrot cake at Island Gardens fortified me for a trip up Manchester Road (many docks indeed) back to Canary Wharf. Simon is right that the activity was very low. The Serco people at canary Wharf said more people were asking directions (on foot) than about the bikes. Returned to Wapping, had another call to the helpdesk to deal with an undockable bike, but I guess there will always be glitches on day one.

Overall, good, but more docks needed in some locations, and TfL definitely now need to market the scheme, no good having loads of bikes not being used.

Lots more cycling to be done in the next few days I think.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

But what about the bells? Up or down?! :-D

mudchute
    Participant

Bells were definitely down – as were all the saddles to start with!

I may have spoken too soon about the lack of dock/bike availability – Spindrift Avenue is now full and the nearest ones are quite a walk away. Mind you it probably didn’t help things the fact that so few people took one this morning and it was 2/3 full. Also Mudchute station dock isn’t open yet which should help a bit.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Did house prices in Tower Hamlets go up yet? :-)

Paulos
    Participant

Tried to hire a bike yesterday with my key, no joy. Tried at another station, same thing. Tried using credit card – went through all the steps up to entering my card’s pin number and I got an error message. Tried again, same thing.

This morning tried to log into my account, no joy. Reset password and tried logging in and I get a screen asking for my email address to change the password. It’s almost as if they don’t want me to hire a bike.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Frustrating, Paulos. They need need need to sort out the technical niggles with this scheme.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

BTW Paulos, you cannot use the same credit card for casual hire as you have registered on your member account. That may have been the reason for your error yesterday.

ozzage
    Participant

Do the bells seem at all different?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.