Docking in Soho

Home Forums Hate Docking in Soho

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  djc 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

davy
    Participant

Are there any plans to install new docks? The other day I visited eight docking stations (including those that other docking stations said had places) before finding a space.

The day before yesterday I visited five…

MarkE
    Participant

As with so many aspects of this system, simply throwing extra docking points in an area won’t necessarily cure the problem.

Waterloo is a fine example of this.

nayeeem
    Participant

Mid morning is impossible in Soho. A couple of weeks ago I tried every Soho station plus a good few more in St James and Mayfair before returning and finally getting a dock on my thrird visit to Soho Square. Late morning the van comes round and liberates slots. Massively over-subscribed in Soho.

radii8
    Participant

There is a problem in Soho as there is in the City. Hopefully Westminster/City will get even more enthused about the scheme and start giving a few roads up (i.e. closing them) and installing docking stations/cycle lanes in them instead.

Obviously, I live in hope :)

claudia
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

I am hoping for improvements, too. Despite the excellent weather, I haven’t been using the bikes as much. Partly due to travel abroad, but it’s also down to the flakiness of the system. Still trying to keep the faith! :-)

radii8
    Participant

Hey Claudia :)

@davy just to add if you wanted to find out plans for further docking stations I think you can still email cyclehire@westminster.gov.uk

davy
    Participant

thanks, radii8. I emailed Westminster Council.

With all the technology we now have, can’t a program can be written to enable the repositioning people to prioritise the worst bottle-necks in real time, rather than just working to a timetable (assuming that is what they do)?

I mean, hanging out in Soho is a basic human right!

ashbro
    Participant

The evening imbalances seem to be getting worse too. Looking at the oobrien.com site right now, there are 77 completely empty stations covering most of central London – its so frustrating when you’ve psyched yourself up for a ride and end up walking to your destination past a dozen empty docks (and arriving half an hour late!!).

radii8
    Participant

amandaspider
    Participant

I am a newbie to all this – what do I do if every docking station within a reasonable parameter is full?

davy
    Participant

Jayne Rusbatch, who seems to be Westminster council’s cycling supremo, emails:

“Whilst the City Council appreciates your concerns, the operation of the scheme is the responsibility of Transport for London (TfL) and further queries regarding its relocation should be directed to them on contact@barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk

claudia
    Participant

Replying to @amandaspider‘s post:

Exactly. Lots of challenges with the BB scheme. If returning a bike, you just have to keep looking for a free spot. You can ask for extra time, however:

http://www.borisbikes.co.uk/topic.php?id=936

radii8
    Participant

Replying to @davy‘s post:

I’ve also been in touch with Jayne – she is right in that the maintenance, siting, planning applications etc. are the responsibility of TfL. However it is interesting exploring reasons why specific docks (in places where they would be handy) haven’t been implemented and the general feel I think is is more to do with cost on TfL’s side than resistance from Westminster Council. TfL have a limited budget for the scheme and this means they will tend towards cost effective installations than necessarily where they would be most useful.

I’d love someone from TfL to jump in and give a different perspective :)

Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

Are you implying Westminster are charging TfL for using their real estate (pavement)? I’d never really thought of it like that. I wonder if they have to pay the council to put up a bus stop shelter… :?

MarkE
    Participant

Replying to @7209′s post:

Given as you can farm revenue from an advert on a bus shelter, or a bike docked at a station, you’d imagine it’s possible…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.