Cycle from Waterloo to Mile End

Home Forums Questions Cycle from Waterloo to Mile End

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rjkerr01
    Participant

Has anyone tried to cycle from Waterloo Station to Mile End?

Thinking of joining the Boris Bike scheme and would like to give it a go to travel into work but wondered about the safety/ease of this route from Waterloo to Mile End?

Matt
    Participant

The best bet is just pay for a 24 hour access for one pound and see how you feel.

I quite often do Oxford Circus -> London Bridge and feel pretty safe to be honest.

urban
    Participant

That’s a nice route. I’m a very fast cyclist, so I can do Waterloo-Shoreditch in about 15 minutes. So I reckon 30 to Mile End. If you’re a newbie, allow 45 mins (once you know the route!).

The first half of that is through the City of London, so do it on a Sunday when you’ll have the streets to yourself. Then come back the same way. Do that over a few weekends, and you’ll be all set for the weekday commute.

For the quietest route, I’d suggest:

Pick up at the massive docking station at Waterloo.

Cycle along the south bank (shh, it’s technically illegal, but…ya know!)

Cross the river on the millenium bridge (WHEEL it across! – whatever you do, avoid blackfriars bridge, it’s one of the most dangerous spots in london)

Go straight ahead

Duck round the back of St Pauls

Follow the one way system (wheel it on the pavement if you’re nervous here)

Turn right at Barbican (fairly wide cycle lane through here)

Cross over Finsbury Square and turn left into wilson street/paul street – nice and quiet with cycle lanes and cycle contraflows

Cross over at the pedestrian/cycle lights and turn right into rivington street

At the end, go down calvert avenue, around the pretty arnold circus

Then along bethnal green road and roman road until you get to the canal, then it’s a quiet canalside cycle to mile end.

rjkerr01
    Participant

Thanks Urban and Blighter.

I’ll give it a go this Sunday and see how it goes.

Matt
    Participant

How did you get on? :)

rjkerr01
    Participant

I have just bought 24 hours access online as I didn’t get time last Sunday. I will try tomorrow for all or just part of the route and see how it goes.

urban
    Participant

Great, can’t wait to hear your experiences.

rjkerr01
    Participant

What a great experience that was. The sense of freedom is fantastic. The journey took me around 40 minutes as I got slightly lost in the city. So I think i could probably do the journey in 25/30 minutes once i’ve got my route worked out.

I accidentally crossed at the river Blackfriars Bridge as Urban told me not to do and can see why it is so dangerous. Next time I’ll make sure I don’t got this way.

I downloaded to the Barclays App which seemed to work okay.

I’ll try it from the begining of next week and do a full week of it.

Matt
    Participant

Replying to @rjkerr01‘s post:

That’s great stuff :) One thing to be wary of with the Barclays App is that it doesn’t always update. If you open it up and your location isn’t right you have to force-close it (double tap the home button, then hold the icon until it wobbles and press the red X)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.