Couldn't undock bikes at three docking stations

Home Forums Questions Couldn't undock bikes at three docking stations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lindy313 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lindy313
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been using the Boris Bikes for about 3 weeks since my company relocated to a new office. It sounded like a great way to save money and good exercise, and I love cycling anyway, so I figured it was all win-win. It’s been fine so far, but just this week I have started wondering if it’s all it’s cracked up to be. For the second time this week I’ve arrived at my usual docking station on Wells Street (between Mortimer and Oxford Streets) to find several bikes there, but all had red lights. This unfortunately was after I had printed my release code (I am still a casual user – just signed up but am waiting for my key), so I walked to Soho Square, where I found my release code didn’t work. I tried to put my card in the machine to get another release code, and it kept declining my request. So I went on to Rathbone Place (?), where the same thing happened. I saw another user who had a key try to access a bike and it wouldn’t budge. This also happened on Monday, starting with five or six bikes on red at the first docking station. What’s wrong? Is it just imperfect technology? Argh – I wasted a tenner between the two days from having to get the Tube home.

urban
    Participant

“I have started wondering if it’s all it’s cracked up to be”. It’s so depressing to hear a new user say this. You have good reason too though – the system is a mess right now. But I can assure you, it’s only been this bad for a few weeks. (It’s never been brilliant though).

Yes, you need to request a new release code – the code only works at the docking station you request it from – and only for ten minutes. My advice is get a key – you can register on the website for £3 (plus £1 for your first 24 hour access period) and then it only charges your bank account when you go to get a bike. It saves all the ‘release code’ hassle, and finding terminals that aren’t working.

Give it time, we all hope it will improve.

lindy313
    Participant

Thanks. I agree it is depressing to say it for me too, especially considering how wonderful it was the first three weeks. But it happened again this morning even though I have a key now. Perhaps I didn’t activate it properly? I’m going to give it a bit more time but my patience is seriously wearing thin. Not impressed with their can’t-be-asked customer service and failure to communicate about what’s been wrong with the software recently, either. I’m dreading my trip home this evening…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.