Boris Cars for London?

Home Forums Love Boris Cars for London?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jingruiwyz 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

urban
    Participant

How about a Boris Cars scheme for London, modelled on Autolib in Paris (and similar schemes in Germany and Italy)?

“A new report, Car Rental 2.0 by Imperial College for the RAC Foundation, suggests a rental scheme based more closely on the Barclays Cycle Hire model could have a potential market of 1.6m people in the capital alone. People could pick the car up in one location and drop it off in another. A similar scheme started in Paris last year — Autolib’ offers more than 1,700 electric cars at 250 locations across the city.”

http://londonist.com/2012/07/rac-research-demonstrates-appetite-for-boris-cars.php

It seems someone is already sniffing around:

“Chibout says the firm has already been approached by “several other cities”. Is London one of them? He gives an enigmatic smile.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/02/le-bluecar-car-share-scheme-paris

Bimbles
    Participant

VERY long story, but I actually dreamt about this back in 2003. The cars were like golf buggies, but with doors & windows and painted in the same livery as the DLR had at the time.

Matt
    Participant

This would be awful. The roads are congested enough as it is, and in zone 1 it is quicker to walk or cycle most of the time!

congokid
    Participant

Don’t Streetcars and Zipcars already operate on similar lines? I’d consider them but the sign up fees are too high. Best short term car hire deal I got was from SixT – three hours’ hire for about £11. That gave me enough time to drive from Victoria to Crystal Palace, pick up a desk I purchased on ebay, drop it off at home and return the car. Much cheaper than a taxi but I don’t think they offer it any more.

Couldn’t have done it with one of those French Autolibs – they’re far too small.

urban
    Participant

Yes, Zipcar operates something very similar, but the drawback is that you can’t have a one-way rental. Actually Streetcar used to allow one-way rentals, but there was a massive £24 surcharge (because a staff-member had to pick it up and take it back to its original bay).

The idea is that the scheme takes private cars off the road, as it has done in most cities that similar schemes operate in. The danger is that it could pull people off the buses/trains and on to the road. But surveys by Zipcar/Streetcar have found that most of their members are either former car users, or people who were considering buying a car.

I think it’s still a very long way off in London. Car-sharing is already more developed here than it is in other European cities, and I can’t see Zipcar being too happy about facing a public-sector rival.

urban
    Participant

Oh, and Congokid – best rental I’ve got in London was £3 a DAY! EasyCar, 2001. I rented it for 3 weeks!

I joined Streetcar when it launched, so I’ve got free lifetime membership of Zipcar (now that they’ve merged). It’s good for emergencies and Ikea runs. I see Autolib as being more like a self-drive taxi.

jingruiwyz
    Participant

If you are a sort of somebody Mulberry Outlet uk fitting the baggage according to the occasion or perhaps the season. then tripper from Mulberry would surely be a great choice, There are several sorts of leather, as you have seen by their design. It’s hard to search for the right bag for the best use, however with intelligent compartments and clever little extras that include every bag, they actually do pass easy. Experience is shown and progressed into the product, being a symbol of affection and care, Belts for ladies are generally studded with rhinestones, Handbags for girls are basically ornamental. The most preferred models of the Mulberry handbags include mulberry bayswater sale Mulberry Bayswater Handbag. buying Mulberry handbags generally is a great and affordable experience. apply for the discount handbags. turquoise, Rhinestones normally come with handcrafted work for instance cut-glass crystals, and gem quartz, The reason being the original designer handbags are expensive, This is a guide to buying discount handbags in your case, Duplicate rhinestones are finished from glass. skin can become irritated, each of them have a story to tell them selves, making them unique. The organization promises to supply with customer service,current designs, and fun, extraordinary color combos to have their growing followers happy.In market there are lots of mulberry daria different fabrics available to select from. You’ll find millions who wish to own an authentic designer bag but can’t afford to accomplish this, They prove really handy in handling the various style of stuff and they also look really good effortlessly types Mulberry outlet store of clothing,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.