Boris Bikes on the Mall

Home Forums Love Boris Bikes on the Mall

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chap 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

martinc
    Participant

In 2009 a docking station for BBs on the Mall was rejected. This was madness, as it is a busy area of central London, and needs a dock for tourists and local workers. The expansion of the scheme announced for 2013/14 should include a dock on the Mall. Together with George, author of the ‘Two Wheels Good’ blog, I am calling on TfL and the Royal Parks to include this location in their plans.

I have written a full analysis on my own blog, I love Boris bikes. If you have a moment, please write to Royal Parks (cycle@royalparks.gsi.gov.uk), TfL (ENQUIRE@tfl.gov.uk)and your local representatives to support this campaign. Thanks.

GeorgeJohnston
    Participant

Yep, this is a great idea. A 40 bike station on the Mall will not only be extremely popular in its own right, but also massively help ease pressure on docking stations in Westminster which are already over-subscribed because there are a lack of bikes in the borough (compared to other areas like the City where the scheme has a far denser distribution).

martinc
    Participant

I think there are special factors which make the Mall a key location, namely its proximity to an important east-west cycle route, its location in an area of high tourism, and the lack of dock coverage in the St James’s / Parliament areas in general, even more so than the rest of the borough.

radii8
    Participant

I totally support this campaign for docking stations on the Mall. In fact, I’ve long wondered why vast tracts of Westminster (with plenty of space) don’t have a single boris bike docking station because as Westminster residents and tax-payers, we have repeatedly asked for them!

May I also add a mention for Cavendish Square re the lack of visibility for docking stations in places where they are actually needed and used (Cavendish Sq is right behind Oxford Street). The docking station near Selfridges which is highly useful is woefully oversubscribed. There clearly isn’t space there but there is a huge amount of space for docking stations in Cavendish Square and the space there is under-utilised.

martinc
    Participant

Please sign our petition to bring a docking station to the Mall – and share with your friends. It’s time TfL hear the voices of real Boris bikers.

martinc
    Participant

The petition to bring Boris Bikes to the Mall now has 48 signatures – thanks everyone who has signed, and if you haven’t please head to the petition page straight away:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/tfl-royal-parks-bring-boris-bikes-to-the-mall-3

With all the extra money TfL will be raising with their higher charges, there’ll be plenty of funds available for one!

Chap
    Participant

If they had one near Admiralty Arch, and another near St James Park, that would hopefully prove to be both useful and relatively inconspicuous. I’m sure Rafael Serrano wouldn’t mind if we placed a few in the oligarch car park :lol:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.