Boris Bikes Locations in Augmented Reality Application "Layar"

Home Forums Love Boris Bikes Locations in Augmented Reality Application "Layar"

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Boris 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

craig
    Participant

Not really a question, but since Android/iPhone apps are discussed here, I think it might be the right place.

Layar is an Augmented Reality application. Local items are overlayed on the screen of your phone through the camera. Layar is available on both iPhone and Android. The beauty of Layar is that rather than having an application for every different service, the data plugins to the application so you can have them all in one place. You can also navigate from the application.

I’ve published the locations of Boris’ Bikes through Layar. It inlcudes realtime information of the status of bikes/docks. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

iPhone

Android

Thanks for looking and any comments you might have. Craig

Boris
    Keymaster

Hello Craig. I just updated the links in your post (the app links where broken). I also finally just got around to checking out the Layar App on my iphone and added your “TFL Cycle Hire” layer. Very nice work!

I think I prefer the map and list view over the AR view. I can’t really see myself swinging my phone around in the air on a busy London street, but maybe sometime. Fun to show friends at least.

Hang on, I just found the setting to restrict the search radius to a more useful 500m. I think this is my new favourite Cycle App!

One last problem though. It’s a bit slow to get up an running. I hope Layar put out a iOS4 version soon with fast switching. Once that’s in place then I’ll seriously consider forgetting about the other cycle apps out there.

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

craig
    Participant

Thanks Boris! (Chris?)

Quote:
    I just updated the links in your post (the app links where broken).

The links I put were (should have been) directly to the Layar itself? I thought if you didn’t have Layar installed it gave you a page that would prompt you to do so, otherwise it would enable you to launch the layar. I don’t know if you know but Andoid has “intents”. i.e. layar:// is an intent that will launch layar or offer to install it if you don’t have it. I tried to create a layar intent for my link, but as it was non-http the editor wouldn’t allow it.

Quote:
    Hang on, I just found the setting to restrict the search radius to a more useful 500m.

I’ve reduced the default to 500m now, so you shouldn’t have to keep changing it.

Quote:
    I think this is my new favourite Cycle App!

Cool! It might not have the little extra like timers that the other apps have, but it’s pretty handy. As I said, the beauty of Layar comes with the multitude of other layers to plug in.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Boris
    Keymaster

Yeah I think layer:// would be stripped by bbpress. Could you use a URL shortener to get around it and re-post the layer links?

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.