Boris bike locked in a bike stand

Home Forums Hate Boris bike locked in a bike stand

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  malcolmb1963 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jt
    Participant

Tonight I saw this Bb locked in a bike stand next to Drury Lane docking station. What really annoyed me was that there were 3 faulty bikes at the docking station and thus none available and some selfish person had made sure they would get a bike by locking it with a bike lock on to the stands right next to the docking station. Shame on you I say…

6f0f23d5.jpg

Peopleperson
    Participant

I agree it’s bad and not in the spirit of the scheme!! I’d report the cycle number to the customer service desk to see what they say…

malcolmb1963
    Participant

It’s actually against the Code of Conduct

I think there’s something about it in the Terms & Conditions but can’t find the info.

Expensive thing to do if it’s for longer than 30 minutes – this is why the access fee rises so dramatically after 30 minutes.

UnknownJ
    Participant

If I came across one like that, I think I’d pop my key in, get the bike out an inch or so, re-dock, and hit the “fault” button. It seems like the easiest way to get the whole thing looked into, and confounds whoever tried to reserve the bike…

Bimbles
    Participant

Possibly slightly controversial, but I don’t actually see a major problem with this.

The hirer is resposible for the security bike when it is not in a dock & they have therefore taken measures to secure the bike whilst not in use. They may have just popped into a shop to buy something! How long was it there? Did you wait to see if they returned?

The hirer is also liable for hire charges when the bike is out of a dock. So they could be riding it, sitting on it, taking it out for dinner or even riding it from here to Timbuktu – it doesn’t matter. They’ve simply got to be prepared for a hefty usage charge if it’s for any significant length of time.

Peopleperson
    Participant

@unknownj – The bike is not parked into a docking station it’s locked to a cycle stand with what looks like a d-lock.

cyclingnewbie
    Participant

Nothing wrong with this – they are paying for their time with the bike, they can use it as they wish (seems like a big waste of money to me though!).

jt
    Participant

The point is the bike was locked in a bike stand approx 4 meters from the docking station. If the person was “popping into a store for a while” they could have just docked it. But instead they made sure that no-one else would be able to take it by locking it in to the bike stand. It surprises me that some here think it is fine when previously I had brought up the five minute wait to carry on using the bike for free (as charges begin after 30 minutes) most here were outraged at the selfishness of that.

Bimbles
    Participant

Replying to @jt‘s post:

Different argument. The 5 minute wait thing is about not incurring usage charges and stopping someone taking a bike that is legitimately back in the system & available for hire. That IS selfish.

This bike was out on hire.

malcolmb1963
    Participant

Replying to @Bimbles‘s post:

Agree

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.