BIKE WANTED

Home Forums Off-topic BIKE WANTED

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  radii8 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

COOLBREEZE
    Participant

Is there anyone out there who after going “Boris” is selling their Brompton Bike?

I am looking to buy one at fair price. Must be in full working condition.

Please PM me.

CB

Jisabella
    Participant

and let me know if you are selling two of them!

jamsandwich
    Participant

http://www.keynoir.com/london

Bike going on KEYNOIR site..

Trikeman
    Participant

You find them on ebay from time to time, but they hold their value very well so you are unlikely to see a massive reduction from the new price.

Beware of gumtree: a huge proportion of the bikes advertised on there are stolen, and gumtree simply doesn’t care.

urban
    Participant

That white fixie on Keynoir is BEAUTIFUL. I want! But I’ve always been a bit scared of fixies, are they difficult/dangerous to ride?

Trikeman
    Participant

Only ridden one once. Not difficult, once the message that you can’t freewheel actually sunk through my skull as a reality rather than a theory, but they put a lot of strain on your knee-joints when accelerating away from traffic lights, etc.

I can see the appeal on a track or on the open road, but I suspect long-term knee damage will be the likely result of riding them in London.

lost_in_thought
    Participant

They put no more strain on your knees than a normal single speed – the only difference is that you have to keep pedalling!

I’ve ridden one for 5 years, and have had no problems.

Trikeman
    Participant

Yes, I agree the issue applies to single-speeds too. Basically if you gear a single-gear bike for a reasonable cruising speed, it will require a lot of stress through the knees when setting off from stationary – and London cycling is all stop-start.

wingnut
    Participant
    Quote:
    London cycling is all stop-start.

Is it?

Trikeman
    Participant
    Quote:
    London cycling is all stop-start.

Is it?

Unless you jump red lights, yes.

wingnut
    Participant

Replying to @Trikeman‘s post:

Without wanting to get into a red light debate it’s usually safer to cruise through smaller junctions if it’s safe to do so, keeps you in traffic free gaps.

Trikeman
    Participant

Would you RLJ in a car if it was ‘safe’?

mit
    Participant

I would, if there was no risk of losing my licence, but there is, so I don’t. There are many junctions where it would be perfectly safe to jump a red light in any vehicle. It depends on traffic flow mainly.

It’s not very safe RLJ-ing on my boris bike commute so I don’t do it, and now I’m used to not doing it I find myself sitting there on the bike at empty junctions on a Saturday morning waiting for the traffic light to go green… Some people do jump them on my route and I’ve seen people being stopped by the police from time to time, but it seems to be the slower riders and I find I usually catch up with them after waiting for the light to go green anyway.

radii8
    Participant

There’s only one way to RLJ and that’s to jump off the bike and walk it over the junction then carry on

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.