Big extension east to Olympic park announced

Home Forums Data Big extension east to Olympic park announced

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Emi052 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

terry
    Participant

BrigitteBardotBikes
    Participant

4,200 docking points, not stations. 4,200 stations would be mental!!

mudchute
    Participant

The 4200 extra docks (not docking stations by the way ;-)) include extra ones for central London. 2700 of the new docking points will be in east London.

Although the extension won’t be complete till 2012, the beauty of the bike scheme is that it could be extended incrementally so hopefully we should see an eastwards creep over the coming year. I’d like to think so anyway.

The BBC also has a feature.

Picklehead
    Participant

This is a welcome but really feeble expansion. We’ll never get near Paris if all they can do is another 2,000 bikes in the next year.

There are vast swathes of flat south and west London that could all be brought into the scheme.

terry
    Participant

Yes, sorry all, more coffee is evidently required!

geofftech
    Participant

*sigh*

can someone not get the figures straight, PLEASE?

Oh, ok… i will! (the BBC were reporting this wrongly this morning until i emailed them to correct them!)

according to Adrian Shorts excellent API page, there are currently:

356 docking stations, 8212 docking points, and TFL say “about 4000 bikes” – that’s approximately 23 docking points per station

by the end of March next year (already planned, not today’s announcement) there should be:

400 docking stations, 10200 docking points, and “about 6000 bikes” – and the average points per station now works out as 25.5

so with today’s news, that means the east london expansion will take us up to 8000 bikes (another 2000), and up to 14,000 docking points. do the maths on that (using the 25.5 average) and that’s 564 docking stations in total.

1,500 of the points “will be in the original zone”, which works out as 59 new docking stations in the existing central area, and 105 new docking station in the eastern extension.

simple! everyone get that??

mudchute
    Participant

Well done for ‘clarifying’ things Geofftech. Interesting figures. It’d be great to see a map of all the proposed docking stations in Central London – I doubt they’re anywhere close to providing anything similar for the eastern extension but here’s hoping.

ashbro
    Participant

ashbro
    Participant

ashbro
    Participant

ashbro
    Participant

ashbro
    Participant

As an eastender I can’t wait to see where the new docking stations are going. (I currently have to drop mine at the Royal London Hospital and walk the rest of the way home).

I do think the answer to the current tidal flow problems is to extend the area well beyond the mainline termini.

ashbro
    Participant

oysterbikes
    Participant

I just hope that the remember the other side of the river when extending eastwards. North of the river the docks stop at Whitechapel Station (Royal London Hospital) which has connections to the East London Line. The most easterly on the south of the river is Shad Thames. If they extended the scheme to Rotherhithe/Canada Water/Surrey Docks it’d be a good start and mean there’s ELL connections both sides of the river.

mudchute
    Participant

SE16 doesn’t seem to have been mentioned in any of the articles I’m afraid – it seems to be Tower Hamlets and bits of Newham and Hackney.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.