Barclays Cycle Hire admits there are problems

Home Forums Love Barclays Cycle Hire admits there are problems

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  urban 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

urban
    Participant

From a press release they’ve just put out:

“TfL has identified areas for improvement, such as a continued focus on bike redistribution and improvements to the contact centre which would improve the overall customer experience.”

Spot on.

Although that line is buried deep inside the press release, which is full of self praise like:

· Three quarters of members started to cycle in London as a result of the scheme

· 1 in 5 members have bought cycling equipment

· 80 per cent of members think the scheme makes a positive contribution to London

Some more:

“Around four in five (80%) of members think Barclays Cycle Hire makes a positive contribution to London, with speed (19%), convenience (14%) and enjoyment (15%) topping the list as the factors contributing to a positive user experience.”

Anyway, good to see they’re acknowledging there are problems and that these are “areas for improvement”. I wonder what the timescale for improvement is.

jamsandwich
    Participant

I’ll be honest – Ive had no problems with the system since the summer upgrade. My only issue is extension north. I’d love it.

Bimbles
    Participant

Replying to @urban‘s post:

I think you’ll find that’s in response to/in advance of the hatchet job Tom Edwards did on BBC London (& the BBC website) tonight.

martinc
    Participant

jamsandwich is pretty hard to please, so it must be doing well :) It’s true though, when I stick my key in now, I don’t worry about system failures. The main problem remaining is bike distribution, but all that’s going to change with the extension. It’s great to hear Tower Hamlets is filling up with docks, but I’d be more encouraged if I saw more in the central area too.

Roo10
    Participant

This whole article is based on a report released in September which means it was probably collected in May, the height of the system issues.

Can anyone find an article from Tom Edwards that is either positive about the scheme or Boris. This is an election year, the extension East and the current scheme will be used to both promote and discredit by opposition and support.

This will be the first of many i suspect

urban
    Participant

Yep, I agree. I get a green light straight away, which is such a massive change. The redistribution and contact centre problems are two major gripes that still haven’t been addressed.

Replying to @jamsandwich‘s post:

urban
    Participant

Replying to @Roo10‘s post:

If it wasn’t for Tom Edwards’ fine reporting, and the pressure that he’s kept up on TfL, I doubt we would’ve even seen this summer’s BCH upgrade.

Roo10
    Participant

Yeah right.. journo’s influence Government body and global private company :?

Bimbles
    Participant

“fine reporting” is open to question….ignoring the later survey results that contradict half of what was reported doesn’t really meet my definition of “fine reporting” :?

urban
    Participant

Replying to @Roo10‘s post:

Of course they do. MPs’ expenses? The Evening Standard’s hatchet job on Ken Livingstone. Those are just two off the top of my head.

urban
    Participant

Replying to @Bimbles‘s post:

I didn’t see any direct contradictions, maybe I missed them. The key criticism of BCH was this:

“The crux of the problem seems to have been the members’ keys, the call centre and yet again finding a docking station.”

And that is backed up almost word for word in the latest report:

“TfL has identified areas for improvement, such as a continued focus on bike redistribution and improvements to the contact centre which would improve the overall customer experience.”

It’s far more important to report on a survey that TfL was trying to bury (and did so successfully for months) rather to reproduce than a praise-filled press release.

Also, if you look at that press release, note how there are no stats on the number of people who were unhappy with bike distribution and with the contact centre. That’s just brushed over in a single line buried halfway down.

If you think facts like this (1 in 5 members have bought cycling equipment) are newsworthy, then it’s probably best you stick to TfL’s puff press releases, rather than decent journalism.

Bimbles
    Participant

I don’t have the relevant details to hand (currently on the move), but my point is related to the fact that the latest survey data was (conveniently?) ignored in favour of the old data that makes for better headlines.

If the story had been put in context with the later data (and the current situation), it would have been a very different (and less sensational) story.

urban
    Participant

Replying to @Bimbles‘s post:

The latest survey data is all in the post at the top of this page. Almost none of it is newsworthy. The fact that TfL tried to bury a load of more controversial stats speaks for itself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.