Arbitrary closure of docks during the Olympics

Home Forums Hate Arbitrary closure of docks during the Olympics

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  danh 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

screech
    Participant

As if London wasn’t going to be enough of a nightmare during The Olympics, the bikes are going to be directly affected as people might have read in the email sent this morning.

I simply don’t understand the reason for these planned closures. Some explanation would be nice. Is it to “ease the system” or some cock and bull story like that?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/18088.aspx

davidq100
    Participant

It looks like many of these are on roads with ‘Games Lanes’. Heaven forbid anyone or anything that might get in the way of VIP vehicles.

I also notice that many roads around Westminster seem to be restricted to official traffic only (e.g. Westminster Bridge). Hopefully cyclists will still have access tho …

Anyone know if the Superhighways will remain operational dedicated to cyclists?

Lots of info here: http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/travelinaffectedareas/city/london-driving-and-roads.html

Bors
    Participant

Those on the 28/29 July coincide with the Road Cycle races which will have closed roads during the day.

It also looks like those on 5 & 12 Aug are for Marathon road closures.

urban
    Participant

26 docking stations out of 570 in total. And most of those only closed for a day or two. Let’s not get melodramatic about this. Hardly arbitrary is it.

Matt
    Participant

I just hope they update the API this time as they didn’t in the jubilee weekend meaning that closed docks still shows as active in the apps :(

screech
    Participant

Well it did appear abitrary. I don’t see how a statistical observation should determine whether or not it is arbitrary. It’s not as if I described it as “blanket” or “excessive” closures.

Any way. Good job, David you seem to have developed a good theory. Of course it’s their beloved VIP lanes. The marathon, I think I can let them off for that. Seems reasonable.

davidq100
    Participant

Of course it would have been nice had they added some temporary docks near the venues to help people travel around. On the plus side, it should be enjoyable pedalling past queues of gridlocked cars in town during the games.

Hopefully the huge influx of tourists will mean a surge in always-delightful “£1-coins-in-key-slot” bonuses. My running total is £7 of these since the scheme began :lol:

screech
    Participant

Really. People actually put pound coins in?? I’ve never found that. I guess in the most touristy areas it must happen a lot.

jt
    Participant

Noticed today that the Old Quebec Street docking station has just vanished! Is this linked to the above? It is annoying as it was the only one near Marble Arch on the “safe side” of Park Lane.

Matt
    Participant

Replying to @jt‘s post:

You’re right! Last updated set of data was 2012-07-12 23:35:01

You’ve just giving me an idea to setup a alert service for when stations stop sending data… (i.e. close)

jingruiwyz
    Participant

What is the best mulberry bags solution for the current plastic bag problem? Reusable shopping bags? Biodegradable plastic bags? Some people feel that biodegradable bags are the best solution because they are, well, biodegradable. Unfortunately, this may not be necessarily true. Biodegradable bags present problems that belongs to them which is often avoided if every one of us start employing reusable shopping bags instead. The objective of this post is to describe the down sides that biodegradable bags present and show how reusable shopping bags are truly the most beneficial solution it really is our shopping bag needs.

In the life cycle analysis of numerous varieties of disposable bags (plastic, biodegradable plastic, paper, etc.), the American Chemistry Council figured biodegradable plastic bags required nearly 3 times how much energy to generate than regular plastic bags (polyethylene). Further, fourfold the number of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) was emitted throughout their production and 18 times the volume of water was utilized to make the biodegradable bags when comparing a normal plastic bags. This begs the question as to whether the final-life great things about biodegradable bags compensate for the excess energy and resource consumption of their creation. Chances are that the answer then is no. Further, there’s no answer why we need either biodegradable bags or plastic bags to eat energy and pollute Mulberry Purses Sale our environment in the first place!

Ruzzi
    Participant

Replying to @Matt’s post:

FYI: Dock Monitor already exists: http://dockmonitor.blogs.casa.ucl.ac.uk/

Replying to @jt‘s post:

FYI: TFL’s Docking Status web page gives all the Oympic Games period – docking station suspensions and which includes Old Quebec Street: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/18088.aspx

danh
    Participant

Don’t try to leave a Bike at the Hyde Park Olympic event – all the nearby ones are closed.

Nearest were Green Street, at one of which the terminal was out of order.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.