Addison Lee in the Bus Lanes

Home Forums Hate Addison Lee in the Bus Lanes

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  malcolmb1963 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

81lon
    Participant

Just seen this on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17722416

Very concerning as I can’t say their drivers are the most considerate on the road as it is. I may be tempted to do a very go slow in the centre of the bus lane should I spot one coming up behind me :twisted:

Boris
    Keymaster

I personally think bus lanes should be used by buses only. Oh, and cyclists too. And emergency vehicles too i guess, but not cabs (black or mini).

Don't forget to add your own signature! 1) Click your name in the top left (under Home once logged in) 2) Click Edit link on the left menu 3) Fill in "Your Forum Signature" 4) Click Update Profile

vidl
    Participant

Worst drivers on the planet – Addison Lee guys in people carriers. Damn dangerous.

ashbro
    Participant

I completely agree – Addison Lee cabs have some of the worst drivers ever that simply disregard many rules of the road (both written and implied). By contrast I have a lot of respect for the majority of black cab drivers.

Would there be any benefit in taking photos on your phone of cars/cabs who are blatently ignoring the ASL’s (including the number plate) and forwarding them to AL? If enough of us do it might encourage them to issue some guidance to their drivers.

martinc
    Participant

TfL agree with us: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/23440.aspx

However, I’d not be so positive about black cabs – I’ve seen quite a few of them ignoring ASLs too.

bbb
    Participant

With their boss issuing statements like this, can’t see the drivers improving their attitude towards cyclists much.

Last time I hired an Add Lee, we came across a long tailback on the way to city airport. The driver simply crossed on to the wrong side of the road and overtook the long line of cars, unsurprisingly to no avail as no one was about to let him back in further up the line. I demanded he did a uturn and drop me at the nearest DLR. Never again.

John Griffin builds a such a sense of self importance into his drivers they are prepared to completely ignore all traffic laws as well as manners and common sense.

Chap
    Participant

I have often thought of posting a negative post on here about Addison Lee as they are easily identified as having some of the worst drivers I have experienced in London – as such I refuse to use them for business or personal use.

I have had 2 dodgy incidents with black cabs since I started cycling in London several years ago, however with Addison Lee I now use it as a heuristic that I should never have one less than a couple of meters behind me or a meter to my side, and all new cyclists that I advise I tell them to avoid going anywhere an Addison Lee vehicle: it is sensible to give them an especially wide berth.

I firmly now believe that if one is in a profession where driving plays a critical part then they should adhere to a rule where after 6 points on their license, they are out the job. Secondly, I encourage everyone who has a near miss or accident as a result of their (or anybodies) dodgy driving to report it to the police and ensure it is noted.

It is dangerous enough having these Addison Lee racers on the road, let alone on the cycle lanes. Keep them out!

Chap
    Participant

Looks like the London Cycle Campaign are covering this issue as well: http://lcc.org.uk/articles/addison-lee-chairman-scores-massive-own-goal-with-article-likely-to-increase-risk-to-cyclists

This just confirms my suspicions that they value their fag break more than the well-being of London’s pedestrians, cyclists, or their very own punters. Pretty much says it all about Addison Lee.

malcolmb1963
    Participant

Had a mini cab run over my foot just after picking up a bike at Endsleigh Gardens yesterday morning – he had just got in an argument with fellow Boris Biker ahead of me about bike lane in Endsleigh Gardens. As he drove off in huff he went over my foot. Didn’t have Addison Lee sign in back window but wouldnt be surprised. No serious damage but police report has been made. Unfortunately, due to the stress of the situation wrote his number down incorrectly but maybe CCTV will help.

radii8
    Participant

I would like to see a police task force on bicycles in London, in bus lanes and at junctions, with a zero tolerance policy to motorists breaking the law. All proceeds to go to the Police to pay for more police on bicycles. That would put an end to motorist arrogance.

Bimbles
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

So long as they have a zero tolerance policy to cyclists too…I’ve almost been knocked over a couple of times by cyclists jumping the lights.

radii8
    Participant

Bimbles, your name isn’t John Griffin is it? :roll:

Bimbles
    Participant

Replying to @radii8‘s post:

Surprisingly enough, no.

radii8
    Participant

Replying to @Bimbles‘s post:

Thank goodness! One is enough.

Chap
    Participant

It appears that the loophole for Addison Lee is their motorbike couriers. For some reason motorcycles can also use cycle lanes in London. Cue last Saturday when I saw some crazed maniac from Addison Lee powering past on the cyclists, taking wild turns and driving without a care for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists around him.

It will be interesting to see how Addison Lee’s highly offensive and odious driving practices fit in during the Olympics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.